Non-standard bag set ups.

MartynB

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not that there is a standard, but thought it would be interesting to see what unusual/eccentric set ups people have. I‘ll go first, 13 clubs in total…

standard bit-
Callaway XR 3 & 4 hybrids, Ping G25 5 to SW including UW, Odyssey O works putter.

non-standard bit-
Callaway XR/X Hot 3 Wood Deep as my tee club. Close to admitting I can’t hit driver and this often goes further and always goes straighter than driver. It’s the one with the deep face they developed with Lefty I think, no longer made but I have 3 of them ?. Hit 81 gross on Sunday so all good.

Callaway XR 4 wood. Easier to hit than 3, goes further than 5.

Aware that gap is small at one end of bag but works for me. What say you?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well, if you count the PW as a wedge* then technically I only have three irons in my bag, but five wedges. That probably isn't standard. :LOL:

*I don't though, since it's part of the iron set, so it's more like four of each in my mind.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I have a 5 wood of loft 19 degrees and a heaven (7) wood with a loft of 20 degrees.

Carry distance is pretty much the same but the ball flights are utterly different. The 5 being lower, more penetrating with roll, whilst the heaven wood is all about instant high launch (due to the longer shaft than a traditional 7 wood) and drop and stop performance.

D

Deleted member 1147

Titleist 917 driver
Titleist 917 4 wood
Ping Crossover 2 iron
Mizuno HHB 4 iron
Mizuno MMC 5-PW
Vokey 50,54,58
TM Spider X

I don't know what's classed as standard or otherwise :unsure:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I put a chipper in my bag the other day as I was playing with a mate at his club and I knew the club would offend him.
Despite the fact that I chipped terribly with it, I made sure to use it whenever the chance arose.

Apart from that, all my clubs are seen as weird by many people.

Wildboy370

skiptongolfclub.co.uk
Ping G425 driver.
Cobra Radspeed 3 wood.
Callaway epic flash 5,7,9 wood
Taylormade M4 6 to Gap wedge.
cleveland 54deg
nike and Taylormade 60deg. The Taylormade is an old rusty I use in bunkers so much confidence using it.
scotty Newport 2

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I have a 5 wood of loft 19 degrees and a heaven (7) wood with a loft of 20 degrees.

Carry distance is pretty much the same but the ball flights are utterly different. The 5 being lower, more penetrating with roll, whilst the heaven wood is all about instant high launch (due to the longer shaft than a traditional 7 wood) and drop and stop performance.
I have the Callaway Rogue HW, 20 degrees of loft and a 4 wood shaft. It goes exactly as you describe, 100% carry zero roll. I love it.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'm looking at a hybrid that sits around the 20-22º mark which sits with the utility I have but I use the utility off the tee, low shots and off the fairway - but I want the hybrid for the more rubbish lies.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Cobra f-speed 10.5
Cobra baffler hybrid 16 deg
Ping G10 hybrid 21 deg
3 and 4 Ping G10
5 to Pw Ping i10
Ping U-wedge 52
Ram Tour Grind 64
Ben Sayers Opel Line 1 (1988)

Handicap Index 2.7

However, next Tuesday it will be,

1978 Confidence 1, 3, 4 woods
1966 Dunlop Peter Thomson Mark 5, 3 to 10 irons
1976 Dunlop Maxfli SW
1976 Petron Impala putter

..which is far more "standard", I believe.

Last edited:

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not that there is a standard, but thought it would be interesting to see what unusual/eccentric set ups people have. I‘ll go first, 13 clubs in total…

standard bit-
Callaway XR 3 & 4 hybrids, Ping G25 5 to SW including UW, Odyssey O works putter.

non-standard bit-
Callaway XR/X Hot 3 Wood Deep as my tee club. Close to admitting I can’t hit driver and this often goes further and always goes straighter than driver. It’s the one with the deep face they developed with Lefty I think, no longer made but I have 3 of them ?. Hit 81 gross on Sunday so all good.

Callaway XR 4 wood. Easier to hit than 3, goes further than 5.

Aware that gap is small at one end of bag but works for me. What say you?

i say if you’re shooting an 81 gross, you’re in play and enjoying it then crack on!

Spend time on the wedges / putting and you’ll make up that 20 yards off the tee in no time at all.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My yardage gaps are conventional but I carry Driver then 5w , 3 crossover , 4 hybrid ( under review) 5-PW , 52, 56 , 60 ( occasionally) and putter

My carry bag has increased from my half set .. dunno they all crept back in , need to boot them all out again!
Driver , 3 crossover, 6,8,PW , 56, putter ( so I have managed to fill the iron gaps back in by adding back 5,7,9)

Yiddo1982

Visit site
Honma tw747 driver
Taylormade 3 and 5 r7 draw hybrids
Ping g425 5-pw irons
Vokey sm8 jet black wedges 50 54 58
Odyssey white hot 7 putter

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I haven't really hit a driver with any sort of consistency since I broke my ankle in 04..
Didn't play for over a year and when I did come back the driver was a disaster..
Dabbled with many since, nothing stayed for long..
I've used 4 woods, 3 woods, Mini Drivers, strong 3s...
Bit of a Stenson thing going on...3 wood works better than driver 9 times out of 10.
Currently using a Mizuno STz 3 wood turned down to 13 and a bit..goes like a rocket.
5 wood next, which goes well over 200
19 and 23 hybrids
5 to PW
50,54 and 58 wedges.
Best 2 rounds this year of +3 & +5 both without a driver.....
They're overrated in my book..