Non golfing partners...

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
Oh, feeling a familiar frustration - game of golf just come up for Sunday but already told my lady that I would be hanging out with her...argh the pain! Sitting heere looking out the window and just want to play but can't deal with the hassle!

But would you want your partner to play golf? Could be cool as the above is far less likely to happen but do you just want to keeep the course as your private reserve...a place to go for a few hours to get away from it all?

What does anyone reckon?

The_Golfer

Club Champion
Visit site
Can imagine.....
The missus is standing there watching with anticipation, I strike the ball with my new driver she bought me for christmas (along with caddyshack, bobby jones, tin cup...)and then as I try to hit it smoothly, yet with a little force, it sprays left, or right, or up or down.. but not forward, definatley not forward.. and then the missus says " is that it? and you spent all that time playing golf or on the range! I thought you said you were good"...... I'd rather own up to watching Coronation Street than face that situation...(shudder)

PaulOHagan

GM Staff
Visit site
I think the two are best kept apart- put your foot down true blue- let her know who’s boss- but check the weather first-if its going to be awful you can gain some brownie points by telling her you’re not going so you can spend time with her! ;)

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
Extremely gd point Paul09 - you clearly experienced at this! Looks like rain on sunday!!

On another point that has just made me think - Bring On the real start to the golfing season...am aching for the Masters and it's still months away!!

Back to putting on the carpet i supppose

Severiano798488

Club Champion
Visit site
I have been giving my girlfriend lessons at the driving range over the last few weeks

It has its benefits - she now knows how hard the game is and is starting to understand why the game needs so much attention and so many hours. Her patience is also wearing a little thin because she finds she can't hit the ball like Ben Hogan....she's quite close to giving up despite my encouragement, but understands a lot more about the game and her brief foray into the sport should stop a lot of the questions/nagging. A winner all round really...!

MacMachattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My wife gave up fairly quickly when she realised she wasn't going to be Annika Sorenstam within a couple of months. I think Severiano's right that it's good for them to give it a try and realise how difficult the game is. Firstly you look generous for spending a bit of time trying to teach them, secondly they realise it's tough and not for them, thirdly they recognise why it takes up so much time. Key is, make sure they don't enjoy it or get better. If they do you'll be stuck, you'll end up playing in mixed foursomes - surely the worst golfing format on god's earth.

golfdonkey

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Danny - I endured just that situation. Was lucky enough to play the Jubilee Course at St Andrews and my wife said she'd walk round with me. After a couple of hours battling the breeze she said, "I don't know why you bother."

Up_Point_1

Head Pro
Visit site
My advice, buy your missus a horse.

My beloved has one and it keeps her occupied for hours and hours at the weekend allowing me to play as much golf as I want.

A horse is also substantially cheaper than a divorce ;-)

furyk_or_unique

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The only time my wife has played golf with me was ironically on our honeymoon, when by some coincidence I just happened to have the clubs in the boot (we needed them for an 'arch of honour' in the wedding pics was my excuse).

Since then, thankfully no real interest, although now my son is starting to play she's making worrying noises about giving it a proper go. Need to think this through carefully before deciding how to proceed...

Thought I'd done enough to put her off years ago, when in the first flush of love, she came and caddied for me in a men's Open. She stills reminds me of the scary way I snarled at her for inappropriate Crunchie wrapper rustling at a critical point of my backswing!!

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I like the cartoon of a groom posing for a wedding photo with his bride on his arm and his clubs slung over his shoulder...he's saying "Well this isn't going to take all day is it??"

MacMachattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Good one Furyk or Unique. I also managed to get a game of golf on my honeymoon. We went to Nairn so I couldn't miss the chance to play one of my favourite courses. The missus walked round and I think she quite enjoyed it. I told her if I broke 80 I'd buy anoter bottle of champagne at supper. Managed a birdie down the last to do it. Half of me wished I hadn't but it all came up roses when, without placing the order, a bottle of champagne was sitting at our table at supper. I pretended it was from me, but found out from the sommelier that it was a present from an uncle of mine. Bonus.