No Laying Up - Tourist Sauce

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
For all you you tube golf watchers. The NLU guys are doing another round of tourist sauce videos, this time in SW Ireland. The first video is up now. I really enjoyed their Scotland trip videos and this time they're visiting all the courses you suspect..... Doonbeg, Lahinch, Ballybunion etc etc. Not sure if they're paying the 230 Euro fees tho 😂

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
For all you you tube golf watchers. The NLU guys are doing another round of tourist sauce videos, this time in SW Ireland. The first video is up now. I really enjoyed their Scotland trip videos and this time they're visiting all the courses you suspect..... Doonbeg, Lahinch, Ballybunion etc etc. Not sure if they're paying the 230 Euro fees tho 😂

Trust Fund Tron can afford it ;) Callaway probably bankrolling the whole thing though, especially as Chad is with them.

Really enjoyed the first episode, they clearly didn't rate the course, but still managed to make it entertaining and pull out some interesting stories. Find it baffling they only have 33k subs on Youtube, they're putting out consistently the best golf content on the platform and still struggling to pull views. Love their stuff.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Trust Fund Tron can afford it ;) Callaway probably bankrolling the whole thing though, especially as Chad is with them.

Really enjoyed the first episode, they clearly didn't rate the course, but still managed to make it entertaining and pull out some interesting stories. Find it baffling they only have 33k subs on Youtube, they're putting out consistently the best golf content on the platform and still struggling to pull views. Love their stuff.
The thing is, they get a really high ratio of views to subs. Especially compared to other popular tubers.
For example, they have the same number of views for this piece (26k from 33k subs) as vids from crossfield (287k), Finch (225k) and Ryan (170k) released at roughly the same time.
Makes you wonder how real the higher subscriber numbers really are.

D

Deleted member 21258

I think they fall between appeals.

They wont appeal to people who want to see about the course(your normal golfer), they aren't instructional golf(normal golfer), they are more kind of an entertainment channel, quite a bit of history kind of stuff on golf/golf courses and their videos are kind of based around golf(based on the videos I have watched of theirs, I have not seen all videos tbh)

No clear sector/appeal, therefore very much a bit of a niche market they are.

PS I do like their stuff and think their videos are incredibly well produced btw, but just the above is why I think they lack subs

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Soly's is definitely legit, he's shot some properly low scores since his lessons with Gankas (but is back up to 0.0), not sure about the others, Tron a 2 seems a little low but his scores are online to look at:

https://ghin.com/lookup.aspx - Florida > Todd Schuster

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-10-03 at 09.52.04.png
    Screenshot 2019-10-03 at 09.52.04.png
    115.6 KB · Views: 79

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Anyone think those updated handicap indexes are a bit suspect? Lol

I'm not familiar with all their names but some seem decent players. I know what you mean though. That said (generalizing I know) I play golf with some Americans through work and can safely say their handicaps are nowhere near where they say they are. I think they take a few too many mulligans.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I thoroughly enjoy the NLU stuff, just a bit of fun rather than the guys who just do the same sort of thing as one another. Tourist Sauce and Strapped are always worth a watch IMO.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site

I find like a lot of youtubers who build up a bit of a following, there are just too many in-jokes and they're not actually that funny. Mark Crossfield is the worst for this.

YamiKuriboh

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm going to check out these guys later when i'm at home.

My personal opinion on golf youtubers (don't expect anyone to agree with me) is that Golf Vlogs UK is the best. It has some good tips on it but is also very funny. They're mid handicappers and they play some good stuff but also the occasional duff. Makes it more real imo.

They're not pros but if I wanted to watch pros I would put Sky Sports Golf on rather than watch Finch/Shields/Ryan etc.

D

Deleted member 21258

I find like a lot of youtubers who build up a bit of a following, there are just too many in-jokes and they're not actually that funny. Mark Crossfield is the worst for this.

Don't watch his course blogs in some ways to what you say, but do find myself keep returning to listed to MC instructional videos with Dan/Coach which are good videos and quite a bit superior to other coaches videos in that area imho. Like that they appear to try to get people to learn skills rather than 'just swing the club this way'.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I will have to give this a go. I only watch vlogs now that are more aimed at entertainment. Used to watch reviews but they all of the reviewers seem to follow a pattern. They start with good, solid opinions, then they start getting invited on company press junkets, then they get sponsored and the unfavourable opinions seem to disappear. That is when I stop watching.

Springveldt

Visit site
Crossfield is like marmite I think. Personally I love his vlogs, I like the banter between them all.

I don't watch the NLU guys YouTube stuff as much as I should but I listen to their podcasts while walking the dog.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I watched the first 15 minutes or so. Its probably me but I don't really see what the point is of this being made available to the public?

It seems to be a bit of a video diary of 'me & my mates on golfing hols'
No problem with it, prob a good idea. But like most holiday vids/pics its probably best viewed by their friends and family. What makes them think the rest of the world are interested... and if the intended audience is supposed to be the golfing world then the diary style content doesn't really work very well. Just like the quintessential inane twitter/instagram/facebook comments... they're literally telling you what they had for breakfast!