Nine Iron, Full swing, Big struggle!

washathi

Medal Winner
Visit site
My chipping with lofted irons is fine. My swing with longer irons is fine. But I struggle when trying to do a full swing with a lofted iron.

About 6 months ago I had major problems with a full swing of my lofted irons. I would often badly slice. I will still just occasionally do a bad slice - but the swing rarely feels good. Many golfers I've mentioned this to are surprised. The feeling is that a full swing with a lofted club should if anything be easier than a full swing with a longer iron.

I suspect its partly a mental thing. I'm dead worried the slice might come back. But could there be a technical issue? Or might it be something else?

Any thoughts much appreciated!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ball in the middle of your stance, hands in front of the ball at address. Make a decent shoulder turn then hit it :) Easy (anything else is over technical and/or over thinking) :)

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
The feeling is that a full swing with a lofted club should if anything be easier than a full swing with a longer iron.

could there be a technical issue?
Or might it be something else?

Any thoughts much appreciated!

yes

yes

without seeing both your longer club full swing, and what you consider a full swing with a 9 iron it's impossible to tell.

however, many push their swing with shorter irons into an over swing (for them) in order to get the same 'feeling' they get with long clubs....

(and ball position in the stance will depend on which 'system' you use - everything off just inside the left heel or gradually moving it back as the clubs shorten - but I would have a 9 iron ahead of centre with either)

Last edited:

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was always taught that if you need to take a full swing with a short iron then you are not taking enough club. Short irons should be hit with a controlled swing, not a big rip like a driver.

washathi

Medal Winner
Visit site
Thanks very much for the ideas. My golf pro is trying to get me to do a fuller swing with my Driver - more wrist hinge. I feel more comfortable with a 3/4 swing with the lofted irons, so maybe I should stick with that.