• Depends on the course

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • I am a member of a nine hole

Votes: 6 11.3%

• Total voters

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Personally, no, I don't like 9 hole courses. Now don't get me wrong places like Princes with 3x9 holes is different from what I'm talking about. Nor am I speaking about doing 9 holes at an 18 hole course if times short or courses that have a smaller 9 hole course in addition. I'm talking about 9 strict holes only courses that can only provide 18 holes if you repeat.

My closest course is a 9 hole but I never consider them more than either one for those who 18 holes is too much or beginners courses. I'm sure there are some nice ones out there I just would not consider joining one.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I started out on a 9 hole course. If you have sufficiently different tees for first and second nine then they are fine. If the tees are pretty much the same then they become repetitive.

I would not dismiss a course simply because it only has 9 holes.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Some of our members ought to move to the par three nine holer round the corner. I can only imagine they’d enjoy it a lot more other than dragging their self round and up and down what even for me is a arduous slog.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Charnwood Forest near me is superb. Two sets of tees and it is par 69 for 18 holes.
A fairly good test as CR is 70.5
I've considered joining, but the problem is that tee times availability is always tighter, obviously.
A society day is very good value.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Im looking to join my local 9 holer next year once I've had my final surgery, for me it will be perfect at to ease myself back into the game.

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I might join if one was really local and had good facilities or a good range attached, but it would have to be as a 2nd course for a quick knock, rather than as my only/main course.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
All of my early golf was on 9 hole pay and play courses (there were several in the area where I lived and I ended up becoming a member of one and put in a request to join another (waiting list).

So going back to then I have answered on that basis.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I joined the 9 holer over the road from me after lockdown for £20 a month. Two neighbours and I play every morning, three days a week at 7am. I'm home, showered, breakfasted and ready to work before 9am.
It's great fun and although the course itself is a bit scabby, I'm really enjoying it.
It makes a nice change from competitive golf at the weekends on a full 18 holer.

sunshine

Visit site
Like many, I started out on 9 hole courses. Actually, start on a pitch and putt then graduated to 9 holer. Perfect intro to the game.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would consider it. Want to get playing again (18 monhts or more since I last played) but I have no interest in paying £1000.00 a year (yes I know it is more expensive for you down south) when I can play once a week normally and even then it can be not at all if I have other commitments or the weather is bad. A 9 hole membership would give me a handicap, comps and the fun of playing without the unfortunate price tag that comes with only being able to pay at weekends.

The only thing holding me back from joining my local 9 holer is that I am wiating to see if there are any membership slots available at a course near me that does a points system.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Around south of London (my area) there are lots of good/very good 9 hole layouts. Those that immediately come to mind are Eltham Warren, "Royal" Sidcup (in joke), and Shortlands which are OKish and then as you move out there are courses like Limpsfield Chart which is erm interesting, and then Reigate Heath and Holtye which are superb. Really good to play on for a change on a society day or with mates but would I consider joining them? No. Apart from the last two if I lived nearer them. Iirc, at Eltham Warren, at the weekend the early starters playing 18 were expected to visit the clubhouse after 9 holes and have a breakfast to while away the time before setting out again an hour and a half/two hours later.

When/if I ever get around to joining a club, it will be one with a minimum of 18 holes, preferably 27 or even 36.

D

Deleted member 23344

About three years ago, as a friend wished to play on his local course, I played a 9 holer a couple of times. It got very congested when those who had finished the 9th went to the 1st to start their “second half”. Both times there were several groups at the tee. Other than that, I have always played 18 hole courses from choice.

thebigreason

Visit site
Yes I would. In fact I am currently looking into joining my local 9 hole course (18 different tee positions). Strangely the only thing stopping me is that none of my current PP's want to join therefore I would be left to play alone, something I am not keen to do.

Crumplezone

Visit site
I play 9 hole courses regularly. They're great when you haven't got time for 18. They range from fairly short that you can get round in less than 1 1/2 hours to the length of 1/2 a typical 18 hole course. I've never felt like I'd want to join any golf club though. I like playing different courses.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've played some really enjoyable nine holers.
Much rather play or join a good nine holers than a poor eighteen holer.
If they were otherwise identical I would probably rather the eighteen holer to join, but there are many nine holers I would be very happy with if they were my local course.

D

Deleted member 18121

My place has an 18 hole course and a 9 hole pitch and putt (115-185 yards)... I am a member of the 9 hole only as it suits my lifestyle.

If my aim was to play 18 holes regularly I wouldnt join a 9 hole course and play it twice... I'd find somewhere else.