Marcg868

Visit site
Hi new to the forum and returning to Golf after a 12 years away. Used to play 2/3 times a week back then. Just bought myself a cheap ish set of second hand Ping G30 irons, fairway wood, Driver and Hybrid off a mate who has got some fancy new ones.
Been to the driving range a few times now, as work allows. Luckily it's a 2 minute walk and my local course is a 5 minute walk.
Seem to be hitting consistently straight with Irons, hybrid and wood, Driver is a bit hit and miss at the moment.
Don't seem to be getting a huge distance though.
Hopefully going to have a few lessons booked as a Christmas present. Just wondering when to venture onto the course for the first time? Or should I wait till spring.
I'll mostly be solo golfing unless I'm off at weekends then I will be going with my mate.

Marcg868

Visit site
7 iron is a bit hit and miss but over 50% of the time it goes where I want it to. Just my driving needs work. Used to be the other way round, good off the tee and fairway, absolutely dreadful with short irons and putting.

Marcg868

Visit site
Might just use my Hybrid, I can hit that better than my driver. Need to kit myself out with some suitable attire first before visiting the local.
Probably do a few more trips to the range, then maybe do 9 holes at the local round about the 28th November, weather dependent.

D

Deleted member 21258

Welcome to the forum.

Get on the course as soon as you are happy to. I ventured out on the course after going up the range a couple of times, the course was a 9 hole pay/play at a quite time, so no pressures. Can safely say I was terrible, did a couple of air shots on the 1st, then hit the ball and lost it and so on the 9 holes went. So really don't worry about it when you goto the course (y)

Hope you enjoy your golf and the forum.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Welcome! Sounds like you're off to a decent start.

Get down the course when it's quiet, I promise you - worse than you will tee it up that day. As long as you're respectful and have good ettiquette no one will mind you in the slightest - in fact you may find a warm welcome.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Welcome along. I'd get out and play a bit. It's winter golf so don't get too stressed about how well you score. Get the lessons you mentioned sorted and get the basics right and you'll have a good foundation to take into 2019 when the better weather arrives again

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Welcome along. I'd get out and play a bit. It's winter golf so don't get too stressed about how well you score. Get the lessons you mentioned sorted and get the basics right and you'll have a good foundation to take into 2019 when the better weather arrives again

So the guy posts he has knackered his shoulder and needs physio and your advice is to get out and play?
That will help his injury no end...

Starting to think you might not read posts before adding to your count.

Marcg868

Visit site
Been advised by physio just to stick with the range for now or 9 holes as pain allows. Have 8 weeks of physio, doing two sessions a week.
Hoping to start playing cricket again also.
Hopefully by spring I should be good to go.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
So the guy posts he has knackered his shoulder and needs physio and your advice is to get out and play?
That will help his injury no end...

Starting to think you might not read posts before adding to your count.
The original post made no reference to the shoulder injury. Maybe you should quote in context

Hi new to the forum and returning to Golf after a 12 years away. Used to play 2/3 times a week back then. Just bought myself a cheap ish set of second hand Ping G30 irons, fairway wood, Driver and Hybrid off a mate who has got some fancy new ones.
Been to the driving range a few times now, as work allows. Luckily it's a 2 minute walk and my local course is a 5 minute walk.
Seem to be hitting consistently straight with Irons, hybrid and wood, Driver is a bit hit and miss at the moment.
Don't seem to be getting a huge distance though.
Hopefully going to have a few lessons booked as a Christmas present. Just wondering when to venture onto the course for the first time? Or should I wait till spring.
I'll mostly be solo golfing unless I'm off at weekends then I will be going with my mate.