Newbie in Berkshire

Zazas

Visit site
I have recently started playing golf. I feel I am now ready to join a club. I am looking for one where ladies have the opportunity to play on weekends as I work full time. I am trying to visit as many clubs as possible but have only played at one of them. I would also be looking at the social side as I believe that plays a big part in golf too. Would love to hear your recommendations. :)

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi Zazas welcome along. A very very very knowledgeable young man called Homer will be along in the not too distant future, once he has left the practice ground and he will no doubt be able to steer you in some direction which I hope will be of use to you. Good luck

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Yep! Welcome aboard!

Berkshire covers quite a range of both area and prices!

Quite important, imo, to select a club that is 'convenient' as well as, in your case, being 'Working Female friendly'! There should be plenty about, so should be plenty of choice.

Zazas

Visit site
Hi, yep have heard of Homer ;). I am based in Wokingham and having lessons at Bearwood, but I think that course might be a bit long for me to jump straight on to. I have been playing at Billingbear (cheap and convenient) but would like to be part of a club. I may be wrong !!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Hi, yep have heard of Homer ;). I am based in Wokingham and having lessons at Bearwood, but I think that course might be a bit long for me to jump straight on to. I have been playing at Billingbear (cheap and convenient) but would like to be part of a club. I may be wrong !!

Welcome along. As the forum sages have said, I play out of Royal Ascot so nice and convenient for you. Far less water than Bearwood Lakes and a very active ladies section with regular comps at weekends. Other than that, there is Easthampstead Ladies based out of the Downshire golf centre. You could also look at Sand Martins although I can't vouch for what their ladies section is like

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Bearwood is nice, but there are some really dodgy members. I can put you in touch with Slasher if you like.:whistle: Think he might now be known as Hector.:rofl:

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
I’ve played East Berkshire at Crowthorne a number of times.
Seems to have an active ladies section , nice course so worth adding to your list

Good luck

Ps slasher is a pussycat really 😎

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
SandMartins had an active Ladies section when I was a member, and aside from Bearwood, the closest, so worth giving it a try IMO.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
SandMartins had an active Ladies section when I was a member, and aside from Bearwood, the closest, so worth giving it a try IMO.

The only issue I have with Sand Martin's (and HID use to work there) was the fact that you had to book times and they were very heavy on societies and it did make getting a suitable time, even at weekends difficult. A good course though and one I know they've done a lot of work on.

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
The only issue I have with Sand Martin's (and HID use to work there) was the fact that you had to book times and they were very heavy on societies and it did make getting a suitable time, even at weekends difficult. A good course though and one I know they've done a lot of work on.
I understand since the new owner came in, they’ve reduced societies, I never had an issue getting a tee time on a Saturday.

Zazas

Visit site
Thanks for the advice. I have decided to join Sand Martins with their Academy Membership.....we will see what happens in a few months time. Hopefully I will be good enough for Bearwood :)

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. I have decided to join Sand Martins with their Academy Membership.....we will see what happens in a few months time. Hopefully I will be good enough for Bearwood :)

Good luck, I hope you enjoy it like I did, always a friendly place.