New set of irons, recommendations?

selwood90

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi guys, literally just joined this forum. Was hoping for a bit of advice on something that I'm struggling with..

Iv been playing around 7 or 8 months now and I'm after a new set of irons. I'm currently playing with the Dunlop 65i's which I'm sure you will all agree are just a starter set. Any opinion on these?

However, I'm doing pretty well playing wise and play a variety of courses. Usually going round in anywhere from 14 over to 20 over. (Personal best of 10 over) Depending on which course I play etc.

I'm after a new set but don't want to buy anything beyond my means, and preferably not too expensive. More than likely pre owned or '2nd hand' if you like. I know a lot of it comes down to personal opinion and feel but would really like some thoughts on what to go with for my next set. I'm a pretty long hitter but do suffer with a lot of high shots. Although I have been told by my local pro that this is mostly due to the 65i's being a beginner set and 'helping you get the ball off the floor' any advice appreciated and il apologise now for my essay.

Cheers

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I use Taylormade RocketBladez & would definitely recommend.
You'll not go far wrong with any of the big brands game improvement clubs tbh.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
As Pinseeker says, you won't go much wrong with any game improvement sets for the big recognised brands (Ping, TM, Titleist, Nike, Callaway, Mizuno, Cobra), plus brands like Benross and MD Golf are worth a look as they make very good clubs, but are usually quite a few quid cheaper as they don't sponsor tour pros and spend so much on marketing. So for the cost of used clubs from say Ping you may be able to get new clubs from them.

My personal choice would be anything from the Ping G range, the later the better. But they tend to hold their value a little more than other manufacturers who have shorter product cycles, so they may be more expensive second hand than others.

Last edited:

RollinThunder

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As Pinseeker says, you won't go much wrong with any game improvement sets for the big recognised brands (Ping, TM, Titleist, Nike, Callaway, Mizuno, Cobra), plus brands like Benross and MD Golf are worth a look as they make very good clubs, but are usually quite a few quid cheaper as they don't sponsor tour pros and spend so much on marketing. So for the cost of used clubs from say Ping you may be able to get new clubs from them.

My personal choice would be anything from the Ping G range, the later the better. But they tend to hold their value a little more than other manufacturers who have shorter product cycles, so they may be more expensive second hand than others.

I agree with the PINGs. My last few sets have been PINGs, trying out the i5s, then the G20s, and now the G30s. The PING G series have a great reputation for game-improvement irons, and I would definitely recommend them.

On eBay, you could probably get a set of PING G20s for between £175 and £250, G25s for between £200 and £350, and the G30s for between £300 and £420. Private sellers tend to charge less, and shops can charge very high prices for second-hand clubs. I got very lucky and got my G30s for £300. Plus, if you ever want to change, premium clubs always have a good re-sale value, so you'll have more money to put towards your new ones. A set of £100 Dunlops from Sports Direct are worthless as soon as you buy them :p

If you do decide on PINGs, have a look at the colour code fitting on their website. You take a few measurements about yourself, and answer a few questions, and they'll give you a colour code, mainly based on your height and the distance from your wrist to the ground. Add this colour to your search, and Bob's your uncle :D

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
Another nod for Ping here. I currently use the G25s and find them spectacularly forgiving on all but the worse of hacks. Any of the previous G range would be suitable too, G15s and G20s being particularly helpful and with lighter CFS shafts than the old AWT ones I believe. I would also look at Ping Rapture V2s, essentially 'G' range in all but name. Fantastic clubs and they'll last forever.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nike Covert 2.0's. I picked mine up at Christmas last year for £300 brand new before the Vapor's came out, so no doubt you'll be able to pick them up cheaper now. Awesome club. Very forgiving, long and have excellent reviews. When Rick Shiels reviewed them he said that if he was going on tour tomorrow he'd pick Covert 2.0's as his club just because they were so easy to hit. Give the review a watch here:

[video=youtube;Yrv-tJ-dpIc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yrv-tJ-dpIc[/video]

selwood90

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the advice guys, have narrowed my search to either ping or taylormade. G15's or RocketBladez. Going to try both and see what I get the best feel out of. Nice review their dan, big fan of rick shiels and Peter finch watch a lot of their stuff!

Thanks for your time guys

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Depends on how serious you are about playing, if you're after improving a lot, go see a pro and get fitted properly, if not then pop into a local golf shop or range and try some clubs out and buy the ones you feel most comfortable with.

Siren

Tour Rookie
Visit site
@OP Looking at what you have posted you seem to be taking the game seriously and to shoot ten over or be anywhere near your level after just 8 months is a fantastic accomplishment. With that in mind I would go and get custom fitted rather than just buying a set you may end up dumping in 6 months etc.

selwood90

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm serious about playing, the improvement iv seen in this 7 month period is more than enough to keep me interested. But as far as I'm aware a fitting service isn't cheap at all am I right? Iv ended up buying a set of callaway RAZR x tour irons. 3-sw and couldn't be happier. 2nd hand I may add, at £125 I couldn't resist.

selwood90

Head Pro
Visit site
Going to give myself another season at it with these before I take the plunge and get custom fit. Is it much more expensive? I know nothing about it but I'm assuming it's roughly the price of your clubs your buying plus whatever adjustments they make? I mean, lower end of the market custom fit, u must still be looking at well over the £500 mark?

JakeWS

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Custom fitting is free as long as you buy the clubs, I was fully fitted for all my titleist clubs the other month, had them all adjusted loft and lies with extra layers of tape under the grip, ordered directly from titleist, all for the same price as if I'd bought new off the shelf.

banacek303

Medal Winner
Visit site
You should try down your local golf club and see if you can try some irons for a round, that's what a friend of mine did. He bought them from the club which was fair.