New rules

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am getting lots of players come to me and ask it true that.................

No it is not you will have to wait until January 2019 for it to be true.

The looks on some faces when I tell them there are nearly 100 changes to the rules 2019.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And in 2019 we will be complaining that golfers don’t know all the rules.
As a rule person, wouldn’t it just be better to answer their question?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Watched the Golf Monthly vid on Youtube with Jezz Ellwood. Covered ten rule changes.

I suppose I'm OK with them - though I really don't like the idea of being able to putt with the flag in the hole. The idea just feels completely alien to me. Even when messing around today it feels really wrong putting with the flag in.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’ve read through them and think they are brilliant BUT and it’s a huge one...

They are going to lead to a lot of misquoted and old rules being dragged up. Unless it’s handled properly and people are educated it’s going to cause a fair few disagreements.

Personally they are great and I hope my above statement is wrong.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I am getting lots of players come to me and ask it true that.................

No it is not you will have to wait until January 2019 for it to be true.

The looks on some faces when I tell them there are nearly 100 changes to the rules 2019.

Going to be plenty of broken rules by ordinary club members in club competitions as I'm pretty sure none will be up to date with that many. Given we're only 7 months away from arguably the biggest wholesale changes since golf began properly, I would like to see these changes being explained and rolled out by clubs to their members now and on an ongoing basis. I think GM and others are doing a fair job on social media to explain the more salient points and you'd hope the R&A get the new version of the rules out to clubs for members to put in their bags and to read.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Going to be plenty of broken rules by ordinary club members in club competitions as I'm pretty sure none will be up to date with that many. Given we're only 7 months away from arguably the biggest wholesale changes since golf began properly, I would like to see these changes being explained and rolled out by clubs to their members now and on an ongoing basis. I think GM and others are doing a fair job on social media to explain the more salient points and you'd hope the R&A get the new version of the rules out to clubs for members to put in their bags and to read.

Couldn't disagree more.

Now will just cause confusion, on going loses control (you can't be on top of responding to everything all the time for 7 months...) and right now people are looking forward to playing the game rather than thinking about the Rules.

Measured communication from November, including the appropriate material and a club based focus on the changes (our 13th will play fundamentally differently due to the changes and we have yet to decide whether to implement a change in mowing patterns).

Finally, and importantly, clubs need to resolve their position on the optional LR and agree their stance. Uncertainty over what may, or may not, be implemented will add an unnecessary layer to people's handling of the changes.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Couldn't disagree more.

Now will just cause confusion, on going loses control (you can't be on top of responding to everything all the time for 7 months...) and right now people are looking forward to playing the game rather than thinking about the Rules.

I agree with this. This was my main point, a lot of players seem to think that the new rules are already in place.

Personally I am thinking about heavy publicity at our club from about September onwards.

I am hoping that the new rules books will be received a few months in advance of the new year.

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
our 13th will play fundamentally differently due to the changes and we have yet to decide whether to implement a change in mowing patterns.

Just from a curiosity pov, could you expand on this please?
I've been following some of the major rule changes coming, but I can't work out how the above comes about.

User2021

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
For someone relatively new to the game, this summer I want to concentrate on enjoying my golf. Come October / November time and i think would be appropriate to start talking in earnest re the rule changes.

Too early and it will cause to much confusion.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I've been following some of the major rule changes coming, but I can't work out how the above comes about.

It's a very cryptic statement but I am working on it...mowing patterns on a par 3 - now given that any single par 3 may or may not have a fairway?...or whether a down slope from a green is mowed down the slope or up the slope?

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
For someone relatively new to the game, this summer I want to concentrate on enjoying my golf. Come October / November time and i think would be appropriate to start talking in earnest re the rule changes.

Too early and it will cause to much confusion.

Counter point, do you want to spend an entire season learning a set of rules only for them to change in January?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Counter point, do you want to spend an entire season learning a set of rules only for them to change in January?

No need to learn loads of rules :)

When I started playing on a course (at 13) an old fella I was playing with asked me if I knew the rules - I said that didn't really. His advice was that I should put the ball on the tee and not touch it again with my hand until I was picking it out of the hole. Any time that I didn't know what to do then I should just ask him; and if it was clear to him that I was about to break a rule he'd tell me; and if it was clear that I was about to not take advantage of a rule before I played my shot he'd tell me that there were things I could do under the rules.

pogle

Head Pro
Visit site
our 13th will play fundamentally differently due to the changes and we have yet to decide whether to implement a change in mowing patterns.

Obviously Duncan can speak for his own club's concerns, but I think that if my club adopts the new Local Rule allowing a drop for a ball that is lost or OOB, we will have to cut the fairway differently on one hole to prevent players from gaining what may be too much of an advantage over a S&D penalty.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
No need to learn loads of rules :)

When I started playing on a course (at 13) an old fella I was playing with asked me if I knew the rules - I said that didn't really. His advice was that I should put the ball on the tee and not touch it again with my hand until I was picking it out of the hole. Any time that I didn't know what to do then I should just ask him; and if it was clear to him that I was about to break a rule he'd tell me; and if it was clear that I was about to not take advantage of a rule before I played my shot he'd tell me that there were things I could do under the rules.

Afraid to tell you but that is learning the rules.

i.e. new golfer plays this year and learns how to drop, what it means when you OOB, that hitting the flag on a green is a 2 shot penalty

Only for all those things to change in 8 months time. Not saying we should be playing those rules now, but clubs should be advertising the changes to make it a smooth transition