New poster after some new club advice

MembersBounce

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi all, this is my first post so go easy on me please.

I have taken up golf again after a 10 year absence, I was never any good before but this year I have worked hard, played a lot of golf, had a few lessons and probably shaved about 20 shots off my game now playing off an unofficial handicap of 24.

At the start of the season I bought a cheap set of Dunlop irons from Sports Direct that have been ok but I now feel it's time to upgrade. Problem is that I'm confused as to whether or not to have them custom fitted. I read a thread on this forum from a couple of weeks back and opinion seems to be divided for a golfer of my standard. Before looking into this I was prepared to just go up to my local AG and try some clubs on their range (which is a very good range) but AG does seem to take a bit of stick on the forums. AG are also offering a £75 minimum trade in for old irons which is about what I paid for mine new.

So any advice would be welcome. Should I just buy 'off the shelf', get a good deal from the ones that feel right on the range and maybe have them fitted at a later date when my swing becomes more consistent. Or go straight for custom fitted probably from somewhere better than AG? If so where?

Also when people talk about the shaft making all the difference do they generally mean the standard shaft that comes with the new clubs (steel or graphite and which flex) or a totally different shaft that probably means more cash spent?

Thanks in advance.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If you are of average height and your swing speed is pretty average, I would suggest you go for a standard second hand set of mid priced clubs. and save your money for lessons
Welcome to the forum btw

MembersBounce

Club Champion
Visit site
Yeah I am of average height and I would say that if anything my swing speed is probably a little slower than average. Regardless of what clubs I buy I will be continuing with lessons. I guess I never really thought of buying second hand before but maybe worth looking into. Thanks

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Yeah I am of average height and I would say that if anything my swing speed is probably a little slower than average. Regardless of what clubs I buy I will be continuing with lessons. I guess I never really thought of buying second hand before but maybe worth looking into. Thanks

Have a look on EBay and golfbidder and stick to the recognised makes, Ping, Mizuno, Cobra, etc (Avoid anything that has a stiff shaft)

If you find something that takes your fancy and is in your budget, post it on here, I'm sure you get some good advice as to suitability and value for money.
Good luck

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hello welcome and enjoy!

What bob said doesn't need anything adding to it other than maybe asking your pro if he's got any 2nd hand decent kit in?

Good luck.

MembersBounce

Club Champion
Visit site
So really the answer to my original question of would I need clubs custom fitted ( or would I benefit much) would be no as long I got normal length clubs with say a regular flex shaft. Is that correct?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
So really the answer to my original question of would I need clubs custom fitted ( or would I benefit much) would be no as long I got normal length clubs with say a regular flex shaft. Is that correct?

Correct. Sorry, I should have made it clearer
Wait until your swing is more consistent, then possibly look into it

MembersBounce

Club Champion
Visit site
I live in South east London/ North Kent. I play mostly at Pedham Place which is an inland links style course near Swanley. I see you like Taylormade, me too. Got the rbz 3 hybrid and the burner 4 hybrid. Both clubs have completely transformed my game and i'm keen to try the rbz irons. Maybe a little expensive for my needs though