New Membership confirmed

minty18

Tour Rookie
Visit site
billyg,

I played the old course there last year.... really enjoyed it... the food in the club house was gorgeous as well.

Let me know if you ever fancy a game cause i'm just up the a1!

All the best

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
Nice looking club mate, enjoy. Joining a club is a major investment and shouldn't be taken lightly.
I paid for a few rounds at my club before I applied for membership to get a feel for the course and club. It felt right and so I joined. It's also the nearest to my home as well!

stevieg

Visit site
played the London Hatfield weekly during the summer, only ever managed the front 9, but enjoyed it.

would like to get back and play the old course for a full 18. when they finish the development there think it will be a cracking complex. Good Choice.

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Thanks all,

I feel like a little kid that's been given the keys to the sweet shop!

Yep, that 4th on the new course is a monster 644/630 from the championship tees and a slighly less intimidating 556/542 from the yellows ( there's two figures for each as they have 'a' and 'b' greens for most holes to keep the wear down)

We were given the keys to a Davros- (aka a buggy or sit-on golf cart) and just invited to drive around the tar-macadam Darvos path for as long as we wanted. I wouldn't use one or an R2D2 as a rule (R2D2= powered cart) but it was like driving around gods vegetable garden- wohooo! lots of Herons, Moor hens and Canada geese out shaking their thing as dusk drew in.

Each hole on the new course is themed with a particular dominant plant or tree type and we must have trundled over 3 or four little bridges on the way round. There's a very zen watergarden feel to the new course and a more traditional parkland feel to the old course.

Minty, yep, give us a couple of while to settle in and find our bearings and you're on.

A membership IS a big investment I agree. Nothing but nothing beats putting in the groundwork which we didn't do first time round although it's all a learning curve. The membership fee is a big amount to me and it isn't going to be easy but as antidote to London it carries a large premium- one i'm willing to make deep sacrifices for elsewhere. I'm sure the same could be said for many of us on here.

Were going to play the old course first a bit as the greens on the new course are USPGA spec. and weve got to find our feet(and our game) before going for the big 'un.

I hope the weather is kind to us this coming weekend. Either way were going up there even if it's only for a couple of pints and a meal!

I'll dig this thread out and add a field report next Sunday night.

cheers,

bill

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Well Ladies and Gents,

just to let you know ive spent the weekend playing golf at the new club. The weather gods were kind to us and we had clear, dry and bright (if cold) weather for both Saturday and Sunday.

Our scores- unsurprisingly - were pants but weve had fresh air, peace and quiet a laugh or two and a weekend of no hassle. I'm back in the smoke now feeling very laid back and ready for another week of grind at the office.

one quick story that might amuse.

This clubs got some nets so we thought we would take advantage of them to warm up before our first round. It wasn't until the missus had knocked about 4 balls into them that I noticed a little machine with a sign saying- practice balls £2 per bucket- token available at reception :eek:

It was only then that I spotted a little gulley running across the end of the nets which was angled to feed balls back into a locked collecting trough

I don't think anyone was passing while this took place but if they had they must have assumed we had our own golf ball factory and simply didn't care. As much as this little episode cost us a bit (no- thankfully they weren't premium balls), we had the biggest laugh about it which got the day off to a great start.

I think the thing that made it for us was to be able to play without having to look over our shoulders every 10 seconds to see if we were narking someone off on the tee as the place was almost deserted.

We're under no illusions that this will remain the situation as the weather improves and the days get longer but it was a nice treat.

Hope it all went well out there this weekend,

bill

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Playing on a new course can be either daunting or liberating. Its great that you hit with no fear but once ou haved played a few times, the hazards start sneaking into your mental game.
£2 to hit into a net?? really?