New lockdown will courses close?

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Don't be naughty ?, clearly I was meaning when clubs were first opened after the initial lockdown.
And I'm playing "devil's advocate" with yourself and imurg.
I think golf could stay open pretty safely but there is the equity thing to be aware of.
One view is they are going for as close to the original lockdown but keeping education going.
It's worth us not losing sight of this
aviary-image-1604231005395.jpeg

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
So it's OK to run with a friend and definitely compromise each other but you don't like the idea of driving to a golf course incase you break down on the way? Breaking down must be a 1000 to 1. In fact is there anyone on this forum that has broken down on the way? Even if I did I'm not that way inclined to great the AA with a handshake and snog
Clearly a remark from someone who has never suffered mental health problems.

Sort of remark that I expected would have disappeared in the 21st century.
actually you’re wrong I was off work for 2 month with anxiety about 5 years ago.

I’ve also lost more than 1 friend to suicide in the past 12 months.

The people you can play golf with you can go for a walk with. That’s what I mean. Golf is no different to any other sport, why should we be treated different.

eddie_1878

Visit site
You’d like to think that England Golf and the R&A will put a case forward to open golf courses, under restrictions like we had previously when the last lockdown was lifted.

We all know the average age
of golfers at clubs is 50+, so getting us out in the fresh air, even just for 9 holes in 2-balls can be key to keeping healthy and not shut up in the house, and for many, home alone!

I dont think traveling to a golf course is excessive travel for many, if the government think it is, then just ring fence that to 10 miles (example) if it’s key to keeping courses open.

Too much common sense there, Fish!

Of all the activities out there, I can’t think of many with a lower risk of transmitting a virus than golf. Even without being conscious of social distancing, you generally wouldn’t be closer than a few meters to anyone anyway. There’s no contact, you’re not touching common surfaces.

Then when you add the physical and mental health benefits, it’s staggering they’ve even considered closing courses.

IMO they’re applying a lazy one size fits all approach.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Dear fellow golfers,

Having digested the Prime Minister’s statement to the nation on Saturday night and read the guidance which followed, there is an element of confusion around the government’s stated intention to close down golf courses and facilities from Thursday 5 November.

As a result of this, and with the health of the nation very much at the heart of my thinking, I would like to make clear England Golf’s intention to respectfully challenge the government’s rationale for closing golf courses.

We will do so utilising all in our network - MPs, colleagues, media and friends - to make sure we are heard by government.

Listening to the Prime Minister, the news that he is actively encouraging safe and responsible outdoor exercise for households or two individuals pointed to our great game of golf being at the heart of this policy.

The guidance which followed stating that golf courses were on a list of venues which should close, therefore, appeared contradictory and came out of the blue.

At no point was England Golf - as the governing body for the amateur game of golf in this country - consulted about this decision.

Of course, we fully recognise and accept the need to suppress the virus to save lives and protect the NHS.

Throughout the pandemic England Golf has endeavoured to act with authority, knowledge, understanding and extreme diligence. At all times we have placed the health and wellbeing of our communities as a priority.

For this and many reasons, it is our sincere belief that it is counter-productive to shut down a healthy pursuit which naturally lends itself to social distancing and is played in a Covid-secure manner in the open air.

Golf returned on 13 May this year following the first national lockdown as an extension of outdoor recreation.

We achieved this after presenting a unified golf industry (All-Party Parliamentary Group for Golf) strategy paper that not only outlined a “return to play” roadmap beyond reproach, but which was heralded as best practice for many other sports to reference!

Our (England Golf’s) 'Play Safe, Stay Safe' guidance was endorsed by government, adopted by golf clubs and is now ingrained in the minds of all golfers.

With safe and responsible exercising being encouraged by government during the second period of national lockdown, it seems incongruous to call for golf courses to now close.

Golf is widely acknowledged as a game which is good for the body and soul, with outstanding research reiterating its benefits for the older generation recently shared by The R&A.

But even without a research paper, the physical benefits of exercising in the open air are obvious and known to all.

In the current situation, the psychological gains from being able to enjoy a social and safe form of outdoor activity, enjoying a temporary release from the pressures of everyday life probably outweigh the physical.

I’m aware from the numbers who have signed a national petition that a great many golfers around the country share this belief.

To be clear, I was also very happy to sign this petition.

Alongside our colleagues in the All-Party Parliamentary Group for Golf (APPGG) we will pro-actively continue dialogue with government challenging the current position hard, but with great reason, to allow golf courses to remain open for play (in some format) from Thursday.

I truly believe this would not, in any way, undermine the huge public health efforts that are going on in the country during these times.

Golf, in fact, can help us get through this terrible pandemic and be stronger for it once we emerge on the other side.

I wish good health to you and your families. Please continue to stay safe.

Kind regards

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
How many mass outbreaks have there been at schools, universities and factories? All staying open.

How many have there been at golf clubs? Closed.

I'm all for following the rules of lockdown and think they are doing the right thing [eventually], but this is where they lose public support when the rules make no sense.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Golf better be banned. I've just spent £100 on a net for the garden ?

Unless you’re landlocked, perhaps using it as some sort of fishing net may be in order. That way, you can get fresh air and avoid the panic buying of all Findus frozen products.

(Other frozen fish products are available......)

D

Deleted member 15344

And I’m entitled to mine.....

And I’m not surprised....
If there is one person on the forum who could be angry and disappointed about the lockdown is Sam with his business and job relying on golf as opposed to most where it’s just a hobby. We can all survive for 4 weeks without a game of golf - the reaction from some is way ott and very self centred - there are bigger things going on with this virus than people playing golf

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
If there is one person on the forum who could be angry and disappointed about the lockdown is Sam with his business and job relying on golf as opposed to most where it’s just a hobby. We can all survive for 4 weeks without a game of golf - the reaction from some is way ott and very self centred - there are bigger things going on with this virus than people playing golf
Yeah I’ve literally had both both incomes taken away from me, but as long as everyone can get out and shoot 90+ in the rain everything is great.