New lockdown will courses close?

PhilCAFC

Visit site
Completely nonsensical to close courses. Golf is an important form of exercise particularly for elderly people. I can understand Clubhouses and Indoor Facilities being closed but no need at all to close down the actual course. As from Thursday at my course as on many others you can exercise and walk your dog on the footpaths that close the course but you can't play golf. Ridiculous.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Listening to a couple of political programmes this morning looks like the 'unnecessary travel' is going to be emphasised.

I have to travel nearly the same distance to get to the supermarket and actually do the shopping on my way home after golf.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
There aren’t many better times to close than now.
It‘s wet, it’s muddy, there’s decreasing daylight hours.
Going to 2 balls will increase pressure on tee times, and implementing restrictions on the number of bookings per week will give another reason for golfers to moan.
Courses have been rammed this summer. Memberships have increased.
Tee times have been at a premium.
My clubs finances are the healthiest they have been in a while.
The course could do with a break.

I‘m in the elderly bracket, and perfectly capable of going for a long walk without the need to hit a little white ball whilst doing so.

My bigger concern about this lockdown is the mental side of things. People can find ways to exercise but for some the social interaction of the club is important - but that’s a different issue, opening the course won’t help that.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Whilst I am going to miss my weekend only golf, I do think theres an element of "everyone else but not me" in some of the reactions. The virus doesn't ignore golfers wherever they are, so lets not pretend to be a special case.
Isn't the "doesn't apply to me "attitude the reason we are seeing these measures again?
It's only a month, after that we can hopefully return to the mud and foul weather golf we seem to love.:)

sunshine

Visit site
Petitions ?‍♂️ Embarrassing

Whilst I think it’s not right to have the lockdown nationally and instead should be locally - it’s done now and it will be a four week break , we can see go and have a walk in the fresh air and let’s be honest playing a round of golf is not key to keeping the country going. It will be tough on some but just get out and have a walk - England Golf will just follow the guidelines

It’s true that golf is not key to keeping the country going.

But we know golf can be played in a safe and socially distanced format within the new regulations that Boris outlined.

If keeping golf open means that some people can keep their jobs, that some small businesses remain afloat, that some people are able to maintain their mental health, then the benefits outweigh a blanket ban.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
The petition to open golf courses is pathetic. It’s 4 weeks in the middle of winter. The mental well being angle is trash. Go for a walk, you don’t need to travel to a golf course
So it's OK that I can run shoulder to shoulder with my friend down the canal for 8 miles but can't do it with a bat in my hand. This is a golf forum so don't be surprised that people want to play golf

Last edited:

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
As was discussed last time, golf is a leisure business and it needs people to run it.
Walking with or without a dog, or going for a jog doesn't.

Not saying I agree with closing, but let's not pretend they are the same.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
As was discussed last time, golf is a leisure business and it needs people to run it.

Last time around our bar was shut, toilets only were open. The manager was in for a few hours each day to open, close, clean etc. Him on his own. The greens staff, at our place certainly, can work on their own at different points on the course so that is safe. No risk for any of the employees when managed correctly.

Ssshank

Visit site
It's nonsensical, there's no data to justify the closing of golf courses.

I'm convinced there's more to this than meets the eye, looks like an economic reset.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site

During lockdown greenkeepers were able to keep working..
When we came back to golf, certainly at our place, the clubhouse and shop were shut. The other staff were working from home.
There was nobody on site except players and greenkeepers..
We're not going into the same level of lockdown as we did in March.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
So it's OK that I can run shoulder to shoulder with my friend down the canal for 8 miles but can't do it with a bat in my hand. This is a golf forum so don't be surprised that people want to play golf
Do you need to drive to go for a run?
What happens if you break down on the way to golf?

I have a vested interest more than any on here when it comes to golf, but all this whinging is stupid. It’s 4 weeks of not playing golf in the middle of winter.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do you need to drive to go for a run?
What happens if you break down on the way to golf?

I have a vested interest more than any on here when it comes to golf, but all this whinging is stupid. It’s 4 weeks of not playing golf in the middle of winter.
So it's OK to run with a friend and definitely compromise each other but you don't like the idea of driving to a golf course incase you break down on the way? Breaking down must be a 1000 to 1. In fact is there anyone on this forum that has broken down on the way? Even if I did I'm not that way inclined to great the AA with a handshake and snog

BubbaP

Visit site
Last time around our bar was shut, toilets only were open. The manager was in for a few hours each day to open, close, clean etc. Him on his own. The greens staff, at our place certainly, can work on their own at different points on the course so that is safe. No risk for any of the employees when managed correctly.
Are you suggesting your course didn't shut during March - May?

BubbaP

Visit site
During lockdown greenkeepers were able to keep working..
When we came back to golf, certainly at our place, the clubhouse and shop were shut. The other staff were working from home.
There was nobody on site except players and greenkeepers..
We're not going into the same level of lockdown as we did in March.
As this is a golf forum, one measure is whether the golf courses closed. On that basis it is the same level as March ?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
As this is a golf forum, one measure is whether the golf courses closed. On that basis it is the same level as March ?
I get that..but its not the same level really is it..
Schools are still open - that's the big difference
When we started playing again in May ( or whenever it was) schools were still closed....