New lesson with a new coach

Diamond

Visit site
After hitting 98, 7 weeks ago the rails have well and truly come off. I am now averaging 112 each round and from loving the game to it destroying my soul. My previous Pro did me 6 lessons last year and I have had 4 this year.
During that time he has never mentioned my grip so after a decidedly vexing 49 outward 9 and 64 inward 9 on Tuesday I went with a New PGA pro, more expensive and 1 hour lessons.

The 1st lesson was yesterday and we covered the grip and my set up. He tweaked the grip and drew Dots on my glove as it was my left hand that needed altering. With the set up he moved the Ball more forward in my stance and had the club more in line with the inside of my left Leg as opposed to righ, interesting he said weight in front foot not back. He also explained the pivot to me which I didn’t know about and also the L shapeIn the swing. Went the range today and up and down but a lot to take in and next lesson on Tuesday. He said try to practice thenew set up and swing at the range but in the course he said just enjoy it and maybe just incorporate the set up.

I have the club KO foursome tomorrow with my mate, we are both off 29 and we play the club champ off 1 And his mate who is off 7. Wish me luck!

Diamond

Visit site
Yes he is local. Works out £50 a lesson for a package of 6, he said he was brutally honest and said he can’t see 6 lessons in my swing. Videoed it and sent me the before and after. My head moves, I was swaying, 8 iron was off the back foot, left hand grip was not round enough. Also my swing is very steep. I realised that trying to do it all at the range was too difficult so I concentrated on the set up. Slice went but a pull came in. Lots of work to do me thinks.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Always an interesting one for me as someone who has used the odd teaching pro or two in the last two decades. Some see it as a longer term project and so don't set out to reinvent the wheel while others feel it is better to make big changes early and quickly and then rebuild. Both have their merits. The guy I use is a very good coach with an excellent reputation and doesn't try and squeeze somebody into a 100% textbook swing but will incorporate solid fundamentals of set up and then work with what the player brings from there. He doesn't change too much in my swing each lesson as he knows what I bring and what my swing is like and simply looks to make small tweaks (usually to address/set up as I slide into old faults)