New laptop recommendation

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Laptop is all but dead this morning, definitely long overdue to be replaced. Mainly a back up machine (I trade from a desktop but store nothing on it at all). Needs to be able to operate as a back up for trading if required.

Am leaning towards a spec of i5 processor, 8Gb memory, 256Gb SSD hard drive, full HD screen (i think 14" is the minimum), must have the ability to power an external (and ideally 2) monitors.

Not too worried about portability albeit would be a nice bonus

Was hoping to spend £500 max but think I may be struggling to keep to that on the above specs.

Anyone recommend anything? (I was toying with combining my machines but think may be best separate. Struggling to find a decent spec laptop I like, may end up back looking at spending a little extra and getting a surface pro 4 as originally planned)

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Get a I3 6 Generation, lappy from Dell or whoever for about £350 , set it up , create the USB recovery Media.
Then do a hard drive transplant to swap out the old spinny drive and put in the SSD, boot from the recovery media and bobs your uncle
you can get a 250 GB SSD for £64 Samsung on Ebuyer

Has a HDMI slot for a second screen, whats not to like :)

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Get a I3 6 Generation, lappy from Dell or whoever for about £350 , set it up , create the USB recovery Media.
Then do a hard drive transplant to swap out the old spinny drive and put in the SSD, boot from the recovery media and bobs your uncle
you can get a 250 GB SSD for £64 Samsung on Ebuyer

Has a HDMI slot for a second screen, whats not to like :)

thanks for the response Phil

Not enough difference between i3 and i5 to worry?

Does swapping the HDD not invalidate any warranty? Is it easy for a layman to do?

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Technically yes, but keep the original hdd and swap it back in if a problem occurs later.

Even you can do it Steve and I'm only a pm away if you get stuck

I've found the I3 6xxx to be nippier than the I5 6 xxx