Votes: 0 0.0%
  • holing a birdie putt.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

jdchelsea

Head Pro
Visit site
hello all

im considering getting new irons and looking for peoples opinions on the following clubs:

ping g15's

mizuno jpx 800 (leaning towards these at the minute)

titleist ap1

callaway razr x

i've included a poll below just for curiousity.

i'm looking for a forgiving club but also one i can progress with. everyone seems to suggest the g15's to me but im not too keen on the look of them at address and i dont think they'd inspire me for short shots around the green.

i know most of it comes down to personal preference and results but just curious if anyone has, has used, bought/returned or knows anyone with any strong views on them.

also i've had my clubs for about 10 years and was given them so buying irons is new to me - is there a best time to buy clubs? will clubs drop in price significantly around oct for instance?

oh and i understand the importance of getting custom fitted for them (it's one of the major reasons for the change)

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
The poll is a waste of time IMO. Everybody will tell you something different. The easiest thing to do is go try a few different clubs and see want works best along with the ones which give you a nice happy feeling ;)

jdchelsea

Head Pro
Visit site
chris 661 the poll was put on (as the post says) just for curiousity to guage peoples opinion. forgot to put on an option for "none of the above" though. put it on as well because I wanted use the poll feature :)

of course everyone will tell me something different - thats the point of a poll i.e. although every tells you something different to see which option comes out on top.

as for trying clubs which feel and give the best results. i will do this obviously. I'm just looking to gain as much information as possible before making my decision by hearing the experiences of other people. A bit like when you buy a new car you ask the opinions of others and then try some out yourself before choosing what feels and performs best for you.

cheers
jd

A

Alex1975

yep, Chris is right but so are you. It will be all about feel and results but we all like a poll :D

I would pick the Mizunos cos I am a fan boy, I have also hit most of those clubs, not the Callaway they were just too UGLY!!! and liked the JPX the best.

Shaft is what you really need to be looking at though, the head is just there to put on the correct shaft for you.

Edit, the G15 are as ugly but I was told at the time that they were cheating and I wanted to know if it was true.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Rubbish. Trying to compare buying a car to buying a set of clubs is beyond ridiculous.

Go to a reputable fitting centre and try many many different makes and models, then select which on performs the best along with suiting your eye, hand over cash, job done.

A

Alex1975

Rubbish. Trying to compare buying a car to buying a set of clubs is beyond ridiculous.

Go to a reputable fitting centre and try many many different makes and models, then select which on performs the best along with suiting your eye, hand over cash, job done.

Did you vote in the poll Chris? :D

T

thecraw

Ping I15 if you don't like the look of G15.

Ping custom fit and customer service WILL NOT be beaten. However I also agree with Chris, you need to try them all and see what works the best.

I also wouldn't just limit myself to the four above, expand and look at Yonex, Wilson, Cobra, Cleveland, Srixon etc. All these guys make some great kit as well.

Its your money, don't be afraid to try loads and take your time in doing so.

Essex_Stu

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Ping G15, Titleist AP1, Mizuno JPX800, Callaway razr x in that order. Have hit the first three.
The Pings just inspire so much confidence at address and it feels like you couldn't hit them bad. The custom fitting is great too and they will last quite a few years. Downside is they are as ugly as sin and apparently Ping are only for old people.
The Titleist were another club that were lovely to hit and do look better than the Pings but they didn't scream 'buy me' for some reason.
The Mizunos I hit three months ago and then three nights ago. The first time I loved them the second time I didn't. They are by far the best looking with quite a small head compared to the others mentioned. The major problem I had with them though is that the ball just flys off the face of them, they just felt dead to me. They are brilliant if you just want distance but I felt they lacked accuracy and consistancy.

Dont narrow yourself down to just these four sets. I don't know your handicap so can't comment on what clubs to try. Just go to your local shop and try as many as you can. My local AG is at the driving range Im a member of so I just pop in there during a range session and get them to tape a club up for me. Always try before you buy as Ive been through two complete sets(except irons) through internet impulse buys based on reviews and a few peoples opinions, whats right for them may not be right for you .

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The thing is it comes down to personal taste. Try as many sets as you can and even if you can only hit a standard stiff and regular flex see what the difference is. Once you get a feel for what you really fancy then you have a choice to make between off the shelf and custome fit. Pros and cons on both sides.

One thing I would say though is find a pro, or retail outlet that has a range/practice ground as there is a world of difference seeing a shot fly and relying on a net or indoor bay and a PC (which may or may not have been ramped).

To muddy the waters further I'd throw in the TM MC and CB models. concur with the GPX 800 pro and I15 suggestions and would add the Nike Pro V combo on top

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you can afford it, just buy the Titleists and be done with it.

More forgiving than any of the others, better to look at, less offset than G15s ( :eek:)

needmoreclub

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
JD,
I purchased a set of JPX a wee while ago and really struggled with them, couldn't control the distance,i've been trying out a set of Titleist AP 1's and i'm really liking them, but as everyone said already, 'try them all'.