new irons advice please

kev_off_the_tee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
evening all,

As a beginner of 18 months, I'm in the process of deciding which irons to replace my Wilson Fatshaft 2 irons with 535 graphite shaft. I was fortunate to be given these in very good condition and they have served me well so far.

My main reason for changing them is that I'm after a better game improvement iron. I'm playing ok with the irons and am hitting them fairly long for a relative beginner (9 iron - 135 yards: handicap 25).

My main problem is getting a consistent line with distance and I've been advised that a larger clubface would do wonders.

I'm looking at a few at online-golf and there are 3 that stand out, mainly due to price.

1)Benross Mens VX Proto Irons 5-PW Steel £150
2)Yonex Golf Men’s Cyberstar VM-1 4-PW Irons £200
3)Nike Golf Victory Red Full Cavity Steel 4-PW Irons £200

What are your thoughts on these, and are there possibly any other contenders. are there any that I should steer clear from?

Also, where is the best place to sell my current irons?

as always, your help is much appreciated

A

Alex1975

I think the Wilsons are a great club for your handicap though I am not a fan of graphite shafts in irons.

What your looking for with a larger head is a "super game inprover" club and the trouble with them is, your going to want to sell them next year when you have dropped a few shots.

If your set on the idea have a look at the Mizuno MX100 and the Taylor Made Burner Plus(very cheep 2nd hand)

kev_off_the_tee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm not 100% on geting a new set, I thought I would just take advantage of the discounts available while they were around.

If the irons are fine, I might invest in a groove cutter to 'clean' them up. I think I might also upgrade my Ben Sayers hyrid with 2 better clubs. I keep thinking of going back to 3 and plus hybrid but I tend to hit my hybrid with anything short of 220 yards so may get hybrids in 2 differents lofts.

kev_off_the_tee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As some of you might see in the 'for sale' section, I am selling a set of Wilson Staff NC9 irons which I won at a local club competition (charity raffle not a round of gold haha)

Please can you confirm whether these are any good for me, as I already suspect they are too advanced

Please correct me if I'm wrong as I'm really not sure after reading some reviews

Thanks again, Kevin

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
As some of you might see in the 'for sale' section, I am selling a set of Wilson Staff NC9 irons which I won at a local club competition (charity raffle not a round of gold haha)

Please can you confirm whether these are any good for me, as I already suspect they are too advanced

Please correct me if I'm wrong as I'm really not sure after reading some reviews

Thanks again, Kevin

Can't see any problem at all with using the NC9 W/S irons.
The whole design was to create a hi tech set using mixed materials and weights (plus a very good graphite shaft). They ought to be ideal.