New iron choices for someone who adds loft?

94tegsi

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Currently play 2012 TM Tour Preferred MC irons. S300 shafts. Don't go above 5 iron.

Probably play to a 10-14 depending on course setup. Mainly effected by how well I drive the ball. HC currently trending down.

Add a lot of loft at impact, so very high with at least a club of distance loss.

Just switched driver and hybrids, adding shaft weight and lowering loft has really helped my game in this regard. Hybrid SS 100mph, driver 105ish.

Work away in weeks and have a set of Titliest 690CB (I think) there. Feel slightly heavier maybe and hit a little further than my TM. Not sure if thought is reality..

So maybe a heavier iron head/shaft?

Just looking for ideas around the above to give me starting point ? Anyone know how Mizuno iron weights compare to mine?

Thanks all.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Most iron head weights will be similar from manufacturer to manufacturer..within a few grams anyway..
Shaft can play a big part. Stiff and heavy (Dynamic Gold S300) should bring the flight down.
Getting clubs reported will help as well.
Problem is that, without a Pro looking at your swing or the data from your swing, you're guessing.

94tegsi

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Cheers. I use S300's currently.

It more came about because the Titliests "felt" a little heavier and maybe gave me a slightly better ball flight.

would love to play MP5's so might start there and probably end up with MP 25's or a combo set.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Currently play 2012 TM Tour Preferred MC irons. S300 shafts. Don't go above 5 iron.

Probably play to a 10-14 depending on course setup. Mainly effected by how well I drive the ball. HC currently trending down.

Add a lot of loft at impact, so very high with at least a club of distance loss.

Just switched driver and hybrids, adding shaft weight and lowering loft has really helped my game in this regard. Hybrid SS 100mph, driver 105ish.

Work away in weeks and have a set of Titliest 690CB (I think) there. Feel slightly heavier maybe and hit a little further than my TM. Not sure if thought is reality..

So maybe a heavier iron head/shaft?

Just looking for ideas around the above to give me starting point ? Anyone know how Mizuno iron weights compare to mine?

Thanks all.

as 'Bobirdie' says the more 'blade' type head design will from near center strikes produce a higher spin rate - so more lift - more height

for sure the 'look' of the iron has to fit the eye from the get-go

but if the swing motion 'action' adds more loft at strike - meaning it's then got to be a more of a 'flip type release' with the lead wrist extending some before impact

then that type of action is goin to happen (unless the swing motion itself is changed/modified a tad) regardless of the overall weight of the club - doubt if there's too much of a difference in weight between those 2 models anyways

but just heavier heads n' shafts per se not really the ways to go - that's just goin to produce the similar impact conditions but at less club head speed

so if looking solely at ways club choice would help - & it would still maybes only help to a smallish degree - would mean more looking at the static loft through the iron set - so stronger lofts - plus iron design that helps to produce less spin

so a totally different club head design from the 2 models mentioned - there's a whole bunch of different make irons that have these 'type' of specs but naturally the design construct the 'look' is a ways different to either of the models mentioned
but these type of irons would give a tad more help - as opposed to sticking to the more blade type design

are the TM's standard loft's through the set?

am sure you maybes have looked at ways to change strike patterns over time which can be difficult if approached the wrong ways - but modifying swing motion 'would' produce the greatest difference in ball flight trajectory

have had a deal of success with folks with some different ways to view what swing intentions you need to lower ball flight - & a couple of drills that are a good ways useful to aid this - if at all interested just ask (on thread or PM)

may seem not connected as such but when you form the hold on the handle then looking down at set-up how many knuckles do you see on the lead hand ?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
your adding loft so its safe to say you're not an "iron striker" swapping irons isn't going to help. the money you spend on irons would be better spent fixing your problem and then you'll crunch any iron you use

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
1) Have lesson on how to deliver less loft
2) Just get your current irons bent 2 degrees strong, likely not taking much turf anyway when adding loft at impact (speaking from experience here), so you won't miss the bounce it takes off much at all

94tegsi

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks guys.

i think you're right. While my scores continue to trend downwards and swing becomes more consistent I will stick with what I have. I managed my first ever 9 holes under par at the weekend, probably the last too.

Cheers

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
what they say

Agree on all 3 counts

I had a notoriously high ball flight due to an early release. Chop and changed irons and shafts hoping that i could get that low piercing ball flight.

It never really happened.

I have had two lessons this year specifically relating to creating more natural lag and compression. Tell you what the difference is massive.

Its been hard going dont get me wrong but well worth it. Games improved hugely