new handicap after 20 rounds incorrect

gridoutblack

Visit site
Has anyone else seen this? played 20 rounds, my best 8 combined = 112.6. which if you divide by 8 = 14.07. but my handicap index is 11.1. Why would that be? everyone elses that I see the best 8 added together and divided by 8 works out exact. any ideas?

YandaB

Visit site
Has anyone else seen this? played 20 rounds, my best 8 combined = 112.6. which if you divide by 8 = 14.07. but my handicap index is 11.1. Why would that be? everyone elses that I see the best 8 added together and divided by 8 works out exact. any ideas?
Are you including the 3 rounds that you put in for initial handicap assessment? What can you see on the EG App, does that differ in any way to your calculations, is that the source of your 20 Score Differentials? Have you had any excepetional rounds in that 20?

gridoutblack

Visit site
Are you including the 3 rounds that you put in for initial handicap assessment? What can you see on the EG App, does that differ in any way to your calculations, is that the source of your 20 Score Differentials? Have you had any excepetional rounds in that 20?
Hi thanks for the response, 20 rounds total inclusive of the initial 3 rounds played. So inital 3 plus 17 other rounds. 8 green scores - there was one great round of 76 score diff 7.1 the rest are mid 80's and a 91. So maybe the 76 was classed as an exceptional socre. Or maybe it will even itself out once 3 more rounds are played?

YandaB

Visit site
Hi thanks for the response, 20 rounds total inclusive of the initial 3 rounds played. So inital 3 plus 17 other rounds. 8 green scores - there was one great round of 76 score diff 7.1 the rest are mid 80's and a 91. So maybe the 76 was classed as an exceptional socre. Or maybe it will even itself out once 3 more rounds are played?
What was your HI at the time of the 76?
[edited to remove nonsense]

Last edited:

gridoutblack

Visit site
that could well be the answer then. it was 13.6 / 14 and the score diff was 7.1. it was the 4th round. Maybe in 3 more rounds time it will even out exactly

YandaB

Visit site
The exceptional score needs to be at least 7 better than your HI to come into effect and your saying it's only 6.5 so that doesn't impact it.
If you use the MyEG app, it shows a little graph of exactly which scores (and how many) are used.

Last edited:

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Exceptional scoring adjustments are distributed across the most recent 20, so that would be included in the differentials you see, if one was applied. So not the reason for your query in this case.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Are you taking the average of your scores - par, scores - CR or your differentials?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As per Rulefan are you looking at course differentials?

I would add a similar comment about an exceptional score being anywhere on you record as this would adjust all previous course differentials.

gridoutblack

Visit site
So I am totalling the score diff's of the best 8 (with green circle next to them) and dividing by 8 and I get 14.07. But handicap index is 11.1. I have attached a screenshot.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-10-18 at 10.44.13.png
    Screenshot 2022-10-18 at 10.44.13.png
    119.4 KB · Views: 53

wjemather

Visit site
So I am totalling the score diff's of the best 8 (with green circle next to them) and dividing by 8 and I get 14.07. But handicap index is 11.1. I have attached a screenshot.
Upon submitting the 20th score, the Low Handicap Index (LHI) gets set for the first time. In your case, this is 6.1 and with your calculated handicap index being much higher than this, the Hard Cap has been activated, limiting your index to 5 above the LHI (so 11.1).

I suggest contacting your handicap committee for them to reset your Low Handicap Index.

gridoutblack

Visit site
Upon submitting the 20th score, the Low Handicap Index (LHI) gets set for the first time. In your case, this is 6.1 and the Hard Cap has been activated, limiting your index to 5 above the LHI (so 11.1).

I suggest contacting your handicap committee for them to reset your Low Handicap Index.
Every day is a school day! Thank you for the confirmation and to all that contributed.

YandaB

Visit site
I beleive that as you have now got 20 scores the Low Handicap Index has kicked in and you have reached the maximum of 5 above the 6.1 you had earlier.
Too slow, wjemather beat me too it

gridoutblack

Visit site
I beleive that as you have now got 20 scores the Low Handicap Index has kicked in and you have reached the maximum of 5 above the 6.1 you had earlier.
Too slow, wjemather beat me too it
yep this is the answer! Thank you. Im gonna leave it as it is and not contact committee, it will even out over time.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

As per WJemather

The low index will remain in force for a period of 12 months (unless it is reset) and you will not go above 11.1 during that time.

Swango1980

Visit site
I was
Upon submitting the 20th score, the Low Handicap Index (LHI) gets set for the first time. In your case, this is 6.1 and with your calculated handicap index being much higher than this, the Hard Cap has been activated, limiting your index to 5 above the LHI (so 11.1).

Do you think this is the way the system is intended to work, or is there a flaw in the system?

The low Index of 6.1 was simply because of the one great score of 76. Furthermore, as that 76 was early on, the differential of 7.1 was reduced by an extra shot (it was the 4th score, so at the time the Index is only based on the best score minus 1 shot). Had the order of the scores simply been changed, and the 76 was shot during the 5th round or after, then the low index would be 7.1 and not 6.1.

I thought that the Low Index could only be set AFTER 20 scores were submitted, and based on the Index only from that point, when it was based on the average of 8 differentials? I haven't gone back into the manual to double check, but it seems incredible that a Low Index is effectively based on ONE very good score in 20. Whereas if many scores had been submitted before that sequence of 20 scores, then the Players Low Index would likely be much higher than 6.1, unless they were genuinely much better in the previous scores, to be consistent enough to earn an Index of 6.1

Swango1980

Visit site
Just looked at the manual. It says the Low Index is established once a player has 20 acceptable scores. To me, that would indicate the low Index should only be established once those 20 scores are in, and be the average of the best 8. If 6.1 is the Low Index, then the Low Index has effectively been set after 4 acceptable scores?

gridoutblack

Visit site
I was

Do you think this is the way the system is intended to work, or is there a flaw in the system?

The low Index of 6.1 was simply because of the one great score of 76. Furthermore, as that 76 was early on, the differential of 7.1 was reduced by an extra shot (it was the 4th score, so at the time the Index is only based on the best score minus 1 shot). Had the order of the scores simply been changed, and the 76 was shot during the 5th round or after, then the low index would be 7.1 and not 6.1.

I thought that the Low Index could only be set AFTER 20 scores were submitted, and based on the Index only from that point, when it was based on the average of 8 differentials? I haven't gone back into the manual to double check, but it seems incredible that a Low Index is effectively based on ONE very good score in 20. Whereas if many scores had been submitted before that sequence of 20 scores, then the Players Low Index would likely be much higher than 6.1, unless they were genuinely much better in the previous scores, to be consistent enough to earn an Index of 6.1
you could be right, this might be a scenario that wasn't programmed adequately to deal with in the system/database