New Hand Held GPS, Recommendations

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
I currently have a Garmin Approach G6, which is getting on a bit and now has a chipped screen.

I was very disappointed with it in Scotland as although it was fine for Greens measurements, it simply didn’t show hardly any of the bunkers, despite having up to date maps.

So time for a new one

What do people recommend, particularly interested in those who went to Scotland, what worked there

Cheers

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I currently have a Garmin Approach G6, which is getting on a bit and now has a chipped screen.

I was very disappointed with it in Scotland as although it was fine for Greens measurements, it simply didn’t show hardly any of the bunkers, despite having up to date maps.

So time for a new one

What do people recommend, particularly interested in those who went to Scotland, what worked there

Cheers

Are you basing it on the Machrie, as there have been lots of changes over the last few years, and Garmin also may not have been out there to re-map it, possibly.

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Been using the garmin g10 and havent yet upgraded it. Found it good for the most distances and the battery on it does me for 3-4 rounds which helps if i forget to charge. Interested to see if anyone pops up with praise for the pricer options out there, colour and maps would be nice.

PhilTheFragger

Visit site
Are you basing it on the Machrie, as there have been lots of changes over the last few years, and Garmin also may not have been out there to re-map it, possibly.

It was poor on The Machrie and put that down to the alterations, although it had the holes in the right order.
It was also bad on the 2 Machrihanish courses, wasn’t giving distances to the fairway etc

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

Pretty sure Garmin don't visit to update and rely on members/clubs reporting changes and using satellite imagery - at least that's what Skycaddie say (we are the only ones etc. etc.).

PhilTheFragger

Visit site
Hole 19 phone app, total cost no pounds! :D

(Someone had to say it.)

I’d rather not use my phone, the temptation to check other stuff and let that interrupt my remaining brain cell when it should be in golf mode, is too great

Skycaddie SX400 ordered, should be with me by the weekend ?