NEW DRIVER..

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Even though I have got a draw bias driver my advice would be to go and get a couple of lessons to cure your swing rather than relying on a closed face to mask the faults. It will be cheaper and will help your overall game.

If however you still decide to go with a draw bias I can thoroughly recommend the Cleveland Hi Bore XLS. Very easy to hit and they are coming down in price with the rise of the new Cleveland Launcher

CarpeDiem

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
First off, what driver have you currently got, also you have to remember that a draw bias setting isn't going to totally cure your slice, try a few lessons to see what the major causes are of your slice are, then think about whether a new driver is the solution. You may find that you hit a driver really well on the range before buying and continue to do so for the next few weeks after purchase then you'll slip back into the same problems. If this is the case then lesson are the answer.

Visit site
I think that I would be in the majority on here in saying spend your £80, £100, £150 or whatever on lessons for curing your slice.

If the money is burning a hole though there are loads of draw biased or offset drivers out there, go and try them at American Golf or Direct Golf who are the major High Street/Online retailers.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
Even though I have got a draw bias driver my advice would be to go and get a couple of lessons to cure your swing rather than relying on a closed face to mask the faults. It will be cheaper and will help your overall game.

Homer is definitely right here. If I could turn back time i would never have bought a draw bias driver. Buy a neutral one and learn to use it- it will help you much more in the long term. In golf there really is no such thing as a quick fix purchase, imo anyway.

RICHARD3879

Medal Winner
Visit site
When i said slice it is more of a slight fade,which i am currently having lessons to correct,the reason for thinking about the purchase,were the results on the range today,easily hitting 300 yards straight down the middle,shot after shot with a demo callaway,however i dont have the £300 needed to buy this club...

CarpeDiem

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Whip out the plastic, if your hitting it 300 yrds down the middle everytime I think that you could justifiy £300 very easily.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Whip out the plastic, if your hitting it 300 yrds down the middle everytime I think that you could justifiy £300 very easily.

Hell yes! 300 yrds down the middle every time, what you playing off?
I would sell a kidney to get a club to do that every time!

Visit site
I am quite a decent distance hitter and my longest drive (wind asissted) last Saturday was 270yrds with a ProV1 4-piece ball.

If you are hitting a one piece range ball 300yrds then WOW! How much is your budget and we can recommend some sticks for you.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't expect any draw driver can cure your slice....

I have a draw driver (Callaway FT-3) and can't tell the difference......

Slices, when and if they come (rarely, proper ones!) are no better or worse than my other drivers.

All I can say is that I just get the odd shot which stays on line a tad better or even turns over (draw) when I wasn't expecting it....which is a bonus, but you can't beat spending the money on lessons or practice buckets.

I was at DG the other day.
A guy came in a complained he was slicing terribly.
The salesman asked what he was using....to which he replied Ping G5 12 degree (I have one)....

The salesman asked "does it go a bit high?" to which the bloke replied "YES" , which it will (probably) it's a 12 degree driver for **** sake.

Now, in my book, if you are slicing a 12 degree driver badly, you are in trouble and need to go for more lessons.

The guy pulled off a 10 degree draw bias Taylor Made off the rack and said "try this, it'll go lower and cure your slice"

- - - - - - -

I could not beleive it......the WORST piece of sales advice I've heard in years. If the bloke can't hit his current driver, this is going to mess him up....for sure....

:(

nicksampo

Assistant Pro
nicksampo.deviantart.com
Having just had a draw driver for the past few months (Macgregor NVG2 draw) I would recommend against. I found that the slices still come as the closed face doesn't stop you coming across the ball, it does help if your not closing the face abit though. And I know its boring but... lessons :)

I would sell a kidney to get a club to do that every time!

:D

Could live without an appendix or a slice of liver aswell ;)

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Having just had a draw driver for the past few months (Macgregor NVG2 draw) I would recommend against;)

Nice Driver that!

PS, I've just noticed your home club.....one of my favourites. I'm over that way quite soon.

RICHARD3879

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hello mate currently off 8,hitting the ball a very good distance but now want to get that bit extra of consistency to try and lower a little more,hence the lessons as the pro at my club seems to think introducing a slight draw in to my game will help but finding it very difficult.

minty18

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Whilst I'm no expert I would definitely advise shelling out the money and getting the driver you know works for you and your swing!

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
currently off 8,

D'oh! now you tell us.... :D

You can't be that bad, and I shouldn't think you idea of a slice is the same as some of us.

Go and get C/F.....don't mess around with guesswork.

If you lose the odd one a tad right, then a draw driver could work a treat....but go a get a pro opinion.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I agree. If you are that low and your idea of a slice is fade to most of us go and get fitted with a set up that is right for you. However don't go to AG as their idea of C/F is not a patch on what a real fitter will do and they don't carry enough shaft variations to make the process viable.

nicksampo

Assistant Pro
nicksampo.deviantart.com
Another recommendation not to go to AG, get fitted properly.

To RGDave: Yeah it is a nice driver, I had completely the wrong shaft in it though and managed to find my cobra on the cheap after trying someones a few months ago. Let me know when your around, I'll see if I'm working. If its after April 14th then I'm not in the country and won't be again for any length of time until mid July :) Sadly I won't be taking the clubs though :(

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Dont mess about, Playing off 8 I would guess you are quite a handy swinger.. ooh eerr.

Being fitted for the right shaft and head will give you far better results than we could ever reccomend. C/F is usually free and if you go to Mizuno,Titleist or Ping etc, They usually take about 1- 1.5 hours.

jeffc

Head Pro
Visit site
You could always buy a driver with moveable weights and then you can play around to see if a draw bias suits you or re-set it to neutral.

BTW off 8, hitting 300yds with a fade mmmmmm hope you're not expecting any sympathy