New Driver

xander

Hacker
Visit site
ok so i am opening up a huge can of worms here BUT

i am thinking of buying myself a new driver (currently using a ram fx v series )but i dont want to spend £200-£300 on the latest greatest all singing and dancing model!
mainly because i have only been playing for half a season and my swing is still in development (although coming along nicely)
my current driver is about 410cc ( i think) but when i look at those 460's they just look tooooo big for my eye!
do i go with the big 460?? or stick with a smaller head??
also as the season is over and there are so many drivers on sale which do people recommend?

i have seen for example the ram fx 9 series the srixon w-403Ad (very interested in this 1) and the wilson staff TD5 all for sale under £50 brand new!
are any of these any good? does any1 own 1? what do you recommend for under £80 as that is approx what i dont mind spending!
oh and by the way it has to come left handed cuz i am a lefty!

OVER TO YOU GUYS!

blindpete

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I bought the Wilson Staff pd5 from Direct Golf or Onlinegolf, can't remember which, and as a 25 Handicapper have found it longer (220+ Yds) and straighter (my slice is a killer!!) Don't no if it comes LH though. Hope this helps.

PaulOHagan

GM Staff
Visit site
Sounds ok to me- if its £30 your not going to feel to hard done by if its not the best club you've ever hit.

A mate of mine has just got a srixon driver at a bargain price and he's testing it out this Friday-we'll see how he gets on.

Shooter_McGavin

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It sounds like "funny old game" has found a bit of a bargain in a previous post. Maybe he could tell you where he spotted the £89 Mizuno driver

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
I think your best bet mate is to go to a pro shop have a look in the second-hand basket and ask the pro if you can take 4-5 on to the range. Sure he will let you and then you will get a real feel for them and not waste any moeny. And with so many drivers coming out the whole time a second-hand option offers real value for money on some absolutely brilliant clubs.

xander

Hacker
Visit site
the mizuno mx500 driver is on sale for £89 online in a few places (american golf for 1) the problem is i am left handed so there are limited supplies of them. i could get a 9.5 degree driver or an 11.5 degree driver from them but i want about 10.5 and they haven't got 1 unless i get the aldila shaft upgrade for £130 ish. which is a bit more than i want to pay!

putt_100

Visit site
When choosing your driver, remembering you have only been playing half a season, choose a driver with a high loft
between 11 & 12. dont go below 10.5

swingstar1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
good advice there putt_100

A mate of mine who plays of 6 has just got one of the newish titleist 905Rs and he went for 11.5 degrees of loft so seems like even the 'better' players are looking for a higher launch these days