New driver shaft

Chap

Visit site
I have been playing golf now for around 6 years at a handicap of 19.
One really frustrating part of my game is the height i get from my drives. I can carry around 260 yds but due to the height & spin i generate the ball will have no carry and pretty much stops as if i'm hitting a wedge.
I have been looking in to changing the shaft on my driver to a Prolaunch Red to gain the moew penetrating ball flight.
I am currently using a 9 degree Callaway FT-I draw bias Stiff.
Any suggestions on this would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Happy_Gilmore

Club Champion
Visit site
Welcome to the forum mate!

I like to hit my driver much lower and have been testing the Titliest 907D2 with a UST Proforce V2, great shaft in my opinion and really helps me get that much lower penetrating flight.

The23rdman

Challenge Tour Pro
www.soulfulphotograpy.co.uk
There are two ways you can approach this issue. The 1st is what most of us do, in that we try this club or that club with this shaft or that shaft. It's kinda fun to experiment, but it ends up a bit expensive and long-winded.

The 2nd option is the one taken up by the smart cookie. That is find a really good clubfitter and get properly fitted taking into account all aspects of your physical make-up and swing characteristics.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you hit the ball 260 carry , and hit it straight, dont change a thing !! who cares how high it goes as long as your on the short stuff.

if you were hitting the ball high and only going 200 yards i'd change, but not if you can carry 260 !!

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hi chap,I tend to agree with junior but if you want I can point you at a couple of good places to get fitted.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Find your self a fitter with a launch monitor. I use the same driver as you with a 10.5 tour head. I have a Aldila NVS shaft which has a soft tip. This creates just enough spin for my swing.

What shaft do you have, I'm guessing its a fujikura speeder!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
If you hit drives 260 carry, and play off nineteen, isn't there some other aspect of your game that could do with money / attention better spent on it?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I love the phrase 'one really frustrating part of my game'. If you are still off 19, the whole game must be frustrating, but bombing it 260 off the tee I would have thought was the least of it.

Anyway, welcome to the forum. Bit of a tough baptism of fire, but welcome anyway. Probably go a bit easier on you next time.....sorry mate.

andiritchie

Journeyman Pro
HOTMAIL.COM
could it not be your angle of attack into the ball puttting too much backspin,your drives cant be that good into the wind i thought the speeeders were a low launch and spin shaft or is the one in a callaway differnt,spend your money on lessons that will sort you out

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well, blow me down! If I could carry 260 I'd play off about 7 or so easy!
I suspect that your swing isn't that great (not wishing to sound rude) but you hit it miles and have a fast speed (hence the stiff shaft). If you are launching a 9 degree high, something's not quite right......and that's quite an understatement.

Go for a lesson or two....don't waste your money on fiddling with your kit. In fact, don't waste your time on your driver at all.....learn to hit it straighter.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Do yo always bomb it 260, Or did you do this once, down hill wind behind you?

Best get ya self to a pro really! Seems to me there is to many variables in your game to go with the guess work.

Good luck!

surefire

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Off topic I know but everyones giving stick about this guys driving distance claim, have any of you ever used the sandtrap forum?

Its an American forum, and the short hitters there carry 275, the longer hitters 300-320!

If only Tiger and Phil knew that instead of all that training all they had to do was sit typing at a forum all day!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Yeah, I have seen this forum. In general that's why this one is so much better. Golfwrx is on a similar vein to sandtrap, except way more technical.

Back to the original post - If there is a problem with your technique, it can't be coming steep into it, as this would load it with backspin. As a result it would fizz up like a lob wedge and go no where. Massive backspin and 260 carry doesn't add up. You must have it teed forwards, and be hitting it on the upstroke, possibly too much so. ? try flattening your swing plain, or moving the ball back.

Better still, learn to putt and chip better, and get the handicap down.

surefire

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Back to the topic, is there really a problem at all? Modern drivers are designed to be predominantly carry with much less roll. From the perspective of being 250 yards away what looks like stopping quickly is probably 10 yards of roll.

Plus like evryone else said if you can drive this far there are many other things you could work on to reduce your scores.