New driver issues

BluenoseGolfer

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi guys first post so I apologise in advanced if there is a thread similar, I'm sure i'll get used to the different forum area's.

Anyway I recently took up the game once again, I'm 20 and used to play of 18 and have been shooting scores the same since I took it back up. I bought a new superfast burner 2.0. However I have been hitting it awfully, I mean terrible. I have never been the greatest driver but it left me puzzled how it was so bad.

I can hit the ball well, my iron play is good as is my rescue etc.

The reason I'm worried about the shaft is I hit my 19 degree rescue club well, great distance and ball flight, but i noticed today the shaft is stiff! and my driver is regular. Could this actually make such a difference? or am i trying to kid myself and my swing with the big stick is just flawed?

Either way as I'm getting back into it I'm having a lesson on Friday so I will ask then too, would be nice for some feedback! Thanks

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The Superfast is a new breed of lighter drivers designed to increase clubhead speed and therefore give you more yards. The trouble is this extra speed loses you a bit of control over the club. So you may get 10 yards more distance but you may be 10 yards further into the clag, especially if the shaft is wrong.
If you hit your hybrid straightish with a stiff shaft then I'd wager a regular shaft isn't up to the job in your driver.

BluenoseGolfer

Assistant Pro
Visit site

So what would your advice be? I'll wait til my lesson on friday and do the thing i should of done and get my swing speed measured.

I really do hit the stiff hybrid well and straight, if it comes to it and a stiff shaft would be better is it possible to change shaft? I'm a bit of newbee with all the equipment

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Welcome,
I am no techno expert. But remember to hit the driver with the club head 'on the up' having already bottomed out. If you hit down on the ball with the driver, like irons, then you stand no chance.
Welcome again.
Matt

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I really do hit the stiff hybrid well and straight, if it comes to it and a stiff shaft would be better is it possible to change shaft? I'm a bit of newbee with all the equipment

It is possible to change a shaft, I know some Guys on here do it (Craw?) but it's probably best left to a Pro. Once you've worked out which shaft you need, then sourced it and paid for it to be changed over, you may find it easier and cheaper to sell the driver you have and replace it.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I have a Superfast 2.0 myeslf and found that it definately is less forgiving, to get round that if you are having a bad day, grip down the shaft a little and stand a couple of inches closer. It does go very well I have to say. Easily the longest driver I have owned.

BluenoseGolfer

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the replies!

I played 9 holes today in twilight, and used this from the tee 4 times and tonked it every time down the middle, the longest reaching the fringe of a 310 yard par 4! ok it was wind assisted but I was highly delighted.

The ball flight did vary a bit though, two went quite high and two stayed at the perfect height I would like, hopefully with a little more practice i'll be able to get more consistent!