New clubs, would you use over winter?

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Recently bought some JPX Tours which I have been using the past few weeks, spec is the same as a set of 716 MB's I have sat doing nothing.

Been thinking with the spec being so similar would you in the same position use the new clubs up to winter and then switch to the old set, and pick the new set-up again in spring?

On one side I'm thinking get the practice in with them over the winter ready for next season, on the other side I'm thinking they're going to be battered for next season, due to practice and play with mud balls and hitting off mats covered in crap etc.

My final thought is there tools not ornaments so get them used?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
they are golf clubs that are meant to be used, why not use them.

i used to have a set i switched to over winter, but the more i thought about it the sillier this sounded.

when i got my MP4 it was sept so used the winter to get used to them

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I virtually always by my new clubs in the Autumn so that I can adjust to them whilst we are mainly playing Stableford comps.

For me it is normally about adjusting to a shaft change so I normally fit the same shaft in to demonstrator club sim 2 so that I do not get the wear from repeated range usage.

D

Deleted member 1147

Just use the new clubs. Winter play has never caused any damage to my clubs, as far as I can tell.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Why wouldn't you use them all year round? I don't see how using clubs in the winter will any more damaging than in the summer.

I practice a lot on practice ground unfortunately it’s quite gritty when soggy, Results in numerous mud balls being hit. The faces seem to wear much quicker for me over winter than summer when I have dry clean balls and firmer lies.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
When I was in first grade at school, in our primer was a story about a little boy called Tim. He was standing beside the swimming pool crying. One of the other kids asked him: "Hey Tim, why are you crying?" Tim said: "I would so like to swim, but I don't want my new swimming trunks to get wet".

Don't be like Tim :p

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I practice a lot on practice ground unfortunately it’s quite gritty when soggy, Results in numerous mud balls being hit. The faces seem to wear much quicker for me over winter than summer when I have dry clean balls and firmer lies.
If there that similar just practice with your old ones and play with the new ones.
It’s always nice to have dry clean balls.

I always buy an extra 7 iron when I buy a set just to practice with.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Recently bought some JPX Tours which I have been using the past few weeks, spec is the same as a set of 716 MB's I have sat doing nothing.

Been thinking with the spec being so similar would you in the same position use the new clubs up to winter and then switch to the old set, and pick the new set-up again in spring?

On one side I'm thinking get the practice in with them over the winter ready for next season, on the other side I'm thinking they're going to be battered for next season, due to practice and play with mud balls and hitting off mats covered in crap etc.

My final thought is there tools not ornaments so get them used?

You could always get nice handmade oak rack and display them above a nice open fire?

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
I wouldn’t use them in winter if they are going to get damaged. I wouldn’t use them in summer either on the hard ground.