New Clubs ......... Whats Happened?????

Chrimbo

Head Pro
Visit site
I've taken delivery of a new set of MX200 which I was fitted for. They have standard graphite shafts which are standard Mizzuno length (which is shorter than my current RAM FX Blacks) with a lie angle of 2 deg flat.

So far I've been up the range and hit about 100 balls but it's like I'm starting from scratch as I'm just not hitting as good as I do with my old clubs, I'm shanking, topping you name it I'm doing everything except hit the ball straight, apart from the odd one or two.

When I tried them at the fitting session I was hitting them fine ..........

What's going on???????

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I would hazard a guess and say you are trying to hit them too hard and see them fly miles. Slow everything down so your swing works in synch like it did on the day. I presume the shaft length and lie were what you ordered? :D

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Don't worry. They will come good.
Homer is spot on.
I bought exactly the same clubs as you (albeit with steel shafts) in March of this year. Went the custom fitted route too. They arrived and I couldn't wait to get out and try them. First time out with them I thought I had made a terrible, expensive mistake. I couldn't hit pussy. Was driving superbly, putting myself in the middle of the fairway and leaving myself simple mid iron shots in. But I was fatting, thinning, slicing...you name it, I was doing it. The three mates I was playing with were dumbstruck. They hadn't seen me play this badly with my irons in years, and I mean it, I'm not just trying to make you feel better. I walked off the course totally dejected. It was me. Whether I was looking up too early to see the "magical results" from my shiney new sticks, swinging too fast, trying too hard I don't know. But I stuck with it. Second game wasn't much better, but it was an improvement. I still wasn't hitting them as well as I knew I should be able to after 5 or 6 rounds. But now??? I love 'em to bits, and they are most probably one of the best sets of irons I have ever owned. I put one down behind the ball and feel so confident with them the ball just fizzes off the club face and I have got the distance back that I had 10 years ago when I was playing really well. I still can't play par 3's properly, that's in my head, it's not the clubs. Stick with it. Get out on the course and relax with them. Nice smooth swing, and I promise you that in 3 or 4 months time you will have grown to love them and wonder what all the fuss was about. They are superb irons. Just don't try too hard and let them do all the work.
Rob

JoM

Visit site
Check the swingweight - they might weigh slightly more or less than your previous set, especially since the shafts are shorter. This could affect your rhythm and it will take time to adapt, but you will adapt.

Chrimbo

Head Pro
Visit site
Homer - yes the shafts and lie are to my 'specifications'.

Smiffy - I'm glad I'm not the only one, but it is so frustrating ....

Thanks for the comments, I'll stick with them as I'm sure they/I will come good.

Chrimbo

Head Pro
Visit site
I just wanted to give you guys an update.

I've just been down the range and your right, it's all come good again and I'm hitting cleaner, smoother and longer than with my old clubs. Mind you I spent the last couple of days in the garden hitting airflow balls but it's paid off.

I can't wait to get them out on the course tomorrow, mind you it will probably all go horribly wrong .......

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If its your first round with the new sticks I predict a glorious front nine as they all behave and then one by one the batteries will run flat and the second nine will be a nightmare.

Of course I am only kidding and hope that the renewed faith in them and the good swings you are obviously putting on the ball with them at the range will lead you to have a great round.

Let us know how you get on