New Clubs for a 25 year Newbie?

pmardle

Visit site
Hi,

I've been playing golf on and off for 25 years with my one and only set of Titleist DTR Irons. I'm hoping to play more regularly again, and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what clubs to look at buying...

I currently play to anywhere between 11 and 20 with my DTR's but I only play a couple of times a year... Hopefully with a bit more regular play I will consistently be down around the dozen or so mark..

Not looking to spend a fortune on these, so budget up to say £400 ?

I naturally hit the ball quite far, my problem seems to be excessive slice and fade... :p

Thanks in Advance..

Peter

A

Alex1975

Hi Peter,

What are you hoping for with new irons or is it just a case of freshening them up? What set make up are you after? 3-SW or 4-PW(more usual now) or what? Do you want new or used? So they need to be pretty or total function?

Clearly the answer is to go and try some but I am sure we can narrow it down a little.

Alex

pmardle

Visit site
Hmm Questions, Questions...

Only really changing as the old set are 25 years old and getting a bit tired... I guess a set or technology that makes my shots more consistent would be great :) 4-PW sounds fine, although I can't remember the last time I used my 4 or 5 iron in my current set.. (and I think I have only ever used them for chip and runs :p) - Always Tee off our first tee with my 3 Iron though !!

Selecting a set of clubs for Style > Substance seems strange to me, so definitely performance over looks.

Obviously going to test and try before buying, but some pointers in the right direction to look at would be great (rather than luck out that my local Pro has the right set in stock at the time)

Thanks,

Peter

A

Alex1975

You may like to look at the Ping G25s, not pretty but prettier than the G20s, they are all about forgiveness and pull all standards of golfers in. Mizuno JPX 825 Pro, I love mine, they are forged, progressive, forgiving and workable. Mizuno JPX 825 (non Pro) are very forgiving and very long. Callaway X Hot I dont now anything about but they are a cult range of clubs. Titleist AP1 long and forgiving. Titleist AP2 Forged, forgiving and workable.

If you need more suggestions ask but be aware while shaft technology has moved on head technology may not have, they are just a little better packaged*