New Clubs Dilemma: i20 or Ci11 or something else?

Mattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi All

Im thinking of upgrading my shovel like wilson Di9s in for the new i20s but im abit concerned they are too good for me and maybe I should stick to my original wilson Ci11 upgrade path!

Im playing pretty well, off 15, but are the i20s for single figure handicappers?

Also thinking of th Mizzy MP53s :) ... yum yum they look really nice but again they might be too good.

Any thoughts from people who play these irons already would be great.

Mattie

Mattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ive got a fitting at the range tonight so ill be hitting quite a few different clubs.

Hope I dwnt smash my driver on the fitting bay door like i did last time!! :)

jdchelsea

Head Pro
Visit site
Im playing pretty well, off 15, but are the i20s for single figure handicappers?

At the end of 2011 I bought a set of i15's and I'm playing off 19 at the moment. The irons have been an absolute revelation for me. Everyone has been telling me my iron play now looks like that of a single handicap golfer.

I tried a variety of irons when I was looking but the pings were by far my favourite. tried the g15's which lots of the shop guys advised me because of my handicap and I couldnt hit them for toffee. So as most people are saying try lots of different sets and pick the ones that you like the most/you hit most consistently. A big factor for me as well was how I felt using the clubs for short game shots i.e. chip and runs etc. The guy in the shop let me take a selection away to hit at the range in my own time which I found very beneficial.

Mattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think whats putting me off is that Lee Westwood still uses i10s!
I dont want to rush and get some clubs that might be great if im playing well
but on the off days I might be awful.

Looking forward to testing them though and after your thoughts I might just buy them anyway!

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Try the Ci9 clubs which are superb, i went from G10 Ping to the Ci9 and find them easier to hit

Like the Ci11 but not sure about the black finish ?

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think u should just go into it with an open mind, the 3 sets of irons u have mentioned, i20, Miz 53, Ci11, are all Very Different types of Irons
Just try loads..........u may get a Surprise

I think whats putting me off is that Lee Westwood still uses i10s!

Dont read Too Much into this, I would think its because.......
A) Lee rarely switches Gear,
B) The i10 Irons are Very Very Good, and more compact than the i15, which ( to me ) are a different type of iron altogether, much more Playable

Good Luck in your Quest for New 'Shinies' :thup:

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Not sure if you saw the thread on Firday, but there are some silly deals around on Cobra S2 Forged at the moment. £299 for 4-GW at Clubhouse golf.

A forged iron with fairly compact head, but still forgiving. Offers the best of both worlds IMO. Worth a look.

Took mine out on the course yesterday for the first time and they went like a dream :thup:

Mattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
All sorted have ordered the i20s as I was hitting them really well.
Yeah I am concerned about the finish on the Ci11 but I dont have to worry about that now.

Problem is being left handed I have to wait four weeks before I get them :(

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
All sorted have ordered the i20s as I was hitting them really well.
Yeah I am concerned about the finish on the Ci11 but I dont have to worry about that now.

Problem is being left handed I have to wait four weeks before I get them :(

Did you just take them off the shelf or were you custom fitted?