New club problem

G1z1

Visit site
Not sure what to do the new club ive joined said when I joined that they have a marshal out on the course at weekends to look for people skipping on and I should have my bag tag on display. Never really thought much of it but last 3 weeks now I’ve went up on the last tee time because there has been large gaps like an hour between players and when I get there every single time there’s 2/3 balls on the 2nd hole. Obviously they have a right problem with people skiping on also ive never seen the marshal or been asked to show my bag tag. The other problem is twice now I’ve been out 1st only to get to the 10th tee to see people starting from there. Once I walked off the other I played behind then and wasn’t let through but to be fair the two ball did play quite fast so wasnt that big a deal but still annoying that I’m first out and I’m getting held up.
What should I do, the people skipping on the course is frustrating and I’ve now walked off my new club after 9 more times that I’ve finished 18 holes.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Not sure what to do the new club ive joined said when I joined that they have a marshal out on the course at weekends to look for people skipping on and I should have my bag tag on display. Never really thought much of it but last 3 weeks now I’ve went up on the last tee time because there has been large gaps like an hour between players and when I get there every single time there’s 2/3 balls on the 2nd hole. Obviously they have a right problem with people skiping on also ive never seen the marshal or been asked to show my bag tag. The other problem is twice now I’ve been out 1st only to get to the 10th tee to see people starting from there. Once I walked off the other I played behind then and wasn’t let through but to be fair the two ball did play quite fast so wasnt that big a deal but still annoying that I’m first out and I’m getting held up.
What should I do, the people skipping on the course is frustrating and I’ve now walked off my new club after 9 more times that I’ve finished 18 holes.

I understand your frustration, had it when I joined my first course.

Those teeing off on the 10th may just want a quick nine in the morning. Annoying I know when you expect a clear run. If it’s not frowned upon get there at first light.
I used to be there before the greenkeepers!
At some small clubs members will just rock up and play and not required or don’t “check in” or book.
Also play three hours before sunset rather than last tee time. Unlikely to encounter anybody or many.

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Are these people who walk on members of the club.if they are then they have no standing you have priority. If not tell the club your leaving if they don’t sort the problem out.

G1z1

Visit site
Are these people who walk on members of the club.if they are then they have no standing you have priority. If not tell the club your leaving if they don’t sort the problem out.
I’m not sure if they are members or x members or just random people. Last night there was ment to be a single player 15 mins in front of me but there was 3 ball on the 2nd hole. So either the single member didn’t turn up and 3 random people turned up or else the member turned up with 2 mates who are not members and didn’t add them to the BRS booking system so he didn’t have to pay the guest fees.
Also @Jamesbrown starting early is not an option the club uses BRS booking system and last week when I was first out at 7:30 I was on the first tee box at 7:20 had a few practice swings and a two ball are standing breathing down my neck so I tee off 10 mins early and the Greenkeeper comes over to me on the first fairway and said don’t tee off early as the green keepers are trying to get out in front of the players. The Greenkeeper although he was polite you could tell he didn’t want people starting even 1 mins early.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
As a member, you have the right to question anybody elses membership status if you have any doubts as to their presence on the course.
A fellow member shouldn't have any problems with you asking.
If somebody you ask gets the hump, you can bet your bottom dollar they shouldn't be there.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I think you need to have a conversation with your Club Secretary/General Manager/Director of Golf.......
Things are, obviously, not working out and some clarification needed.
If these "extras" are bucking the system then the system needs policing.
The whole point of having a booking system is that you have your time and you know where other groups are....

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sounds more likely that this is a club that is simply having issues with members not agreeing with recently introduced or change of tee bookings.

It’ll be the “we’ve always done it this way” brigade.

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Most likely other members see the big gaps like you do and decide to just come and play when it happens instead of using BRS.

While it does create the problem for other players, I’d imagine their thinking would be - there is no one on the tee so why bother with BRS. Not an excuse but many people didn’t like the switch to online bookings for everyday rounds.

As for marshals, I’ve only seen them on a course in the UK when it’s a comp day of sorts. It’s typically a volunteer and no one is going to be turning up to drive around the course checking a few players playing sunset rounds.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Seems like the club is being a bit slack about several issues.
Members that simply roll up should have to book in so that the BRS slot is filled - otherwise others will either do the same or book the slot, thus backing start tee(s) up nd/aor overcrowding the course which is the greatest cause of slow rounds.
Definitely worth having a chat with the Course Manager, expressing your concerns.
And FWIW, GKs should only rarely be anywhere near even the earliest of starters.
Doesn't seem like a terribly well organised club imo.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Think you need to put your concerns in writing and then go and see whoever runs the place and have a conversation about your frustrations. I reckon Smiffy is right and if you asked these people jumping on they won't be members. We have an issue every summer after about 6.00 when the pros go home with people rocking up and parking at the top of the car park and going straight out. With track and trace we had a marshall operating and they regularly chucked a number off. Same with first thing on a weekend