New Club Combo

Ruairii

Visit site
I just got fitted for a Callaway rouge driver at 9 degrees and I have a set of Taylormade irons 5 through to pitching wedge with the degrees range from 23 to 45, I also have a 10 year old 56 degree sand wedge. I was wondering what is the best clubs (fairway woods, hybrids, 3/4 irons) to fit the difference in degrees between driver and irons. As the driver is 9 and my 5 iron 23 that is a 14 degree gap for clubs. Also my wedges have a big gap of 10 degrees from pitching wedge to sand wedge. Was just wondering what the best 14 club combo is best for this set-up.
I've a swing speed of 105mph with driver.
I play off a 14 handicap.
Thanks.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Don't get overly focused on loft - it doesn't translate directly across irons, hybrids and woods.

Personally I would recommend you get a 5 wood and a 4 hybrid - focusing on clubs that set well to your eye and are easy to hit when you swing them.

Between those you should have a couple of options to give you distance from a variety of situations. Both will have sufficient loft to play reasonably easily from the fairway - in a similar manner to a 5i.

With your clubhead speed the 5w should give you in the region of 235yds (summer carry) and when you are good enough to be seriously considering carrying into greens from further and need a 3w you can get one to suit at that time.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you hit the 5 iron really well I would go for a hybrid around 19 and play it like an an iron and a high loft 3 or 4 wood.

That wedge gap certainly needs filling a 52 makes a good all round wedge distance and greenside, pitches and chips with different techniques.