need help with my swing, 4 handicap

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
You are a 4 H/c. So you know what you are doing. Looks ok to me. The swing is a three quarter swing and the club face is only a tad out. Looks as though if you swung to the horizontal it would be in the right place. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

levster

Visit site
thanks for the replys but im wanting to become more consistant and all i seem to be doing is hooking it constantly and which means im having to hold off the golf club which is causing inconsistency. so have you any tips on how to get it square?

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Assuming its not your grip, as has been said, I am guessing your wrists are bowed at the top? I cant see this from the video.

On the way back, when the club is horizontal it looks OK. But from then on, becomes shut. Do you subconsciously increase grip pressure?

As said, the swingyde is a decent bit of kit, which I use alot.

I work on keeping my hands 'in' initially and hinging my wrists so that they sit straight onto the gyde asap. It feels like I am chucking the club head over my right shoulder (or impersonating Ricky Fowlers backswing!) as the angle I break my wrists has to be different to sit on the gyde.

As you say, if you are not in the right position at the top you have to compensate. Wheres if you are in the right position you can turn through without fear of a snapper.

I would get one if I were you.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Leadbetters faults and fixes for hooking and pushing would have you try something along the lines of these options:
weaken the right hand grip and (mirror work) / or
open up your upper body to target at address , also play the ball forward and / or
feel that your left wrist is cupped at the top (think rotate forearms more if you feel it's this) and / or
work on clearing your body through impact and / or
feel the grip end of the club is swinging left after impact, but at the same time the clubface remains open and / or
hit shots from a sidehill lie with the ball below the level of your feet

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
just going through a swing change however i still cant get my club face square at the top any tips ?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sAw7haNMrI

A few questions that I believe might help - or may be completely pointless.
Why are you going through a swing change?
What exactly is that swing change?
Why are you concerned about something happening at the top of the backswing?

And I'd suggest you go back to whoever set you on the swing-change road and ask them for assistance. They are much more likely to be better placed to help than a bunch of internet 'hackers'.

levster

Visit site
A few questions that I believe might help - or may be completely pointless.
Why are you going through a swing change?
What exactly is that swing change?
Why are you concerned about something happening at the top of the backswing?

And I'd suggest you go back to whoever set you on the swing-change road and ask them for assistance. They are much more likely to be better placed to help than a bunch of internet 'hackers'.

1) the reason that I am going through a swing Change is that I was taking the golf club back very
Steep causing me problems, I was also having back problems.
2) with the swing change I am taking the golf club lower for and wide, taking away the steepness of the swing, I am also turning my body to get the shoulder under my chin then on the down swing opening my hips up to give me more room through impact.

3) and why shouldn't i? It an important part of the swing if I can get the club in a correct position there is less to think about on the downswing creating more consistency

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My 2 pence probably isn't worth 1 pence but your head moves around quite a bit especially at take-away, I see you have it back by impact but maybe this contributes to your issue? Just sayin' what I see! I would kill to be a 4h/c so don't be too harsh on yourself, the advise given by the chaps above sounds good it might even just be a tempo thing and things will click again for you when you're not protecting your back so much