Nearest the Pin in a Scramble Competition

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
This might be more of a 'organisers decision' thing rather than an actual rule of golf, but it came up on the weekend and nobody knew the answer because it never seems to be stated anywhere. So I was wondering what the general consensus is.

Say you're playing in a scramble, and they have a nearest the pin prize on the par 3s. You get to the last par 3 and player A beats the nearest the pin prize, however, player B is also on the green a little further away, and you need to use his tee shot in the scramble because it's 4 tee shots from each player and you've only used 2 of his. Does player A still usually claim the nearest the pin prize in this situation, or does it only count if his tee shot is actually chosen and used by the team?

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'd have thought it's an organisers decision but I see no reason why the person hitting it closest to the pin should not claim closest to the pin whatever the subsequent decision of the team as to which ball to choose to play.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd have thought it's an organisers decision but I see no reason why the person hitting it closest to the pin should not claim closest to the pin whatever the subsequent decision of the team as to which ball to choose to play.
It wasn't stated in IG or the email regarding the comp what you would do, so if it happened during the round the team would have had to wing it, basically. I think you're probably right and the person would have just claimed their nearest the pin as normal, irrespective of their ball not being chosen for the following shot.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
It wasn't stated in IG or the email regarding the comp what you would do, so if it happened during the round the team would have had to wing it, basically. I think you're probably right and the person would have just claimed their nearest the pin as normal, irrespective of their ball not being chosen for the following shot.

Often the others might not even tee off but if they did and if the non counting tee shot for Player A was holed on a Par 3 when Player B's tee shot had to count, would Player A claim a hole in one? I think without a doubt they would. Same for NTP I reckon

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Often the others might not even tee off but if they did and if the non counting tee shot for Player A was holed on a Par 3 when Player B's tee shot had to count, would Player A claim a hole in one? I think without a doubt they would. Same for NTP I reckon

Once the ball is in the hole that’s it done so the HIO would always count

I have only seen a NTP once in TS

And it was in the rules that all shots counted even if you didn’t take that shot

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Once the ball is in the hole that’s it done so the HIO would always count

I have only seen a NTP once in TS

And it was in the rules that all shots counted even if you didn’t take that shot

In @Orikoru scenario the hole in one shot wouldn't (couldn't) count as the teams tee shot for that hole

Edit: in last weekends scramble we had 7 NTP prizes, all par 3's and other NTP in 2 shots on some Par 4's (& I managed to 'win' one of those for a dinner for 2 voucher even though I didn't hit the tee shot :sneaky:)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
In @Orikoru scenario the hole in one shot wouldn't (couldn't) count as the teams tee shot for that hole

Edit: in last weekends scramble we had 7 NTP prizes, all par 3's and other NTP in 2 shots on some Par 4's (& I managed to 'win' one of those for a dinner for 2 voucher even though I didn't hit the tee shot :sneaky:)
I don't think this is quite correct. If someone's tee shot couldn't possibly count then they wouldn't even tee off usually, because there is no point. In my original scenario it was more like, you're going to chose player B because you need to take two more tee shots from him on the last four holes, or something like that, so you want to get one in. But if player A had holed out you'd most likely still take that and take your chances on player B using two tee shots on the last three holes.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
You get to the last par 3 and player A beats the nearest the pin prize, however, player B is also on the green a little further away, and you need to use his tee shot in the scramble because it's 4 tee shots from each player and you've only used 2 of his

Ah sorry I thought this meant a par 3 had to count for each player and you said this group were on the last par 3

(its normal for our scrambles to mandate X number of tee shots per player, one of which must be a par 3)
Your saying they might want to use his tee shot (the one a bit further away) they don't actually need to

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Nearest the pin is nearest the pin regardless of who hit the shot.

At our place when we have a scramble each player has to hit 4 counting tee shots, one of which must be on one of our 4 par 3s.

Wouldn’t be very fair if only 25% of the field could compete on the last par 3.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nearest the pin is nearest the pin regardless of who hit the shot.

At our place when we have a scramble each player has to hit 4 counting tee shots, one of which must be on one of our 4 par 3s.

Wouldn’t be very fair if only 25% of the field could compete on the last par 3.
With that rule in place you HAVE to have a nearest the pin as well otherwise you'd get exactly what you said - only one player from each team hitting.