Nearest Point of Relief

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Here's one for the rules gurus. Bounce game so wasn't a big deal however.....

My ball ended up in standing water on a green. The puddle is right at the edge of the green and nearest point of relief is actually off the green. It was particularly punitive because I was left with an impossible chip over a bunker to a tiny section of the green containing the hole.

In this situation do I have to drop my ball off the green or can I take relief on the green not nearer the hole?

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
OK, Found it

25-1 - Abnormal Ground Conditions

b. Relief

(iii) On the Putting Green: If the ball lies on the putting green, the player must lift the ball and place it, without penalty, at the nearest point of relief that is not in a hazard or, if complete relief is impossible, at the nearest position to where it lay that affords maximum available relief from the condition, but not nearer the hole and not in a hazard. The nearest point of relief or maximum available relief may be off the putting green.

So annoyingly, I would have to drop it in the impossible position. Actually I'd have a better chance of getting up and down by putting (or maybe chipping) out of the puddle on the green rather than taking a drop. That'd be interesting if it was an important match!

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I thought the general gist of it was to give yourself the same length putt as you had, as close as you can to the original spot whilst still getting full relief.

Edit: I was obviously wrong, and a slow typer to boot!

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I thought the general gist of it was to give yourself the same length putt as you had, as close as you can to the original spot whilst still getting full relief.

In the spirit of our friendly game that was exactly what we agreed I should do but we both had our doubts.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yep. Nearest point of relief in that case might be off the green.

Decision 25-1b/10 Casual Water on Putting Green; Nearest Point of Relief Is Off Green

Q. A player whose ball is on a putting green is entitled to relief from casual water. However, the nearest position affording complete relief which is not nearer the hole or in a hazard is off the green in the rough. If the player opts to take relief, must he place the ball in the rough?

A. Yes. See Rule 25-1b(iii).

Note that under this rule the ball is placed not dropped even though it is not being placed on the green.

I feel that this is a rule which could and should be changed to give you the option of placing on nearest point of relief which is on the green. It's not your fault it was raining and the greens don't drain :(

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Yep. Nearest point of relief in that case might be off the green.

Decision 25-1b/10 Casual Water on Putting Green; Nearest Point of Relief Is Off Green

Q. A player whose ball is on a putting green is entitled to relief from casual water. However, the nearest position affording complete relief which is not nearer the hole or in a hazard is off the green in the rough. If the player opts to take relief, must he place the ball in the rough?

A. Yes. See Rule 25-1b(iii).

So you don't have to take relief. You could have putted/chipped through the puddle if you'd wanted to.