National anthem

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I like it :) Ok so it can be a bit slow, but it's short and punchy and has words like "victorious" and "glorious" - what's not to like.

Only downside is I feel short changed when we play Ireland or NZ and others who seem to have two anthems!

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Either you've started early in Sussex or your signature is spot on! :rolleyes:

You have lost me bim .
Is there another thread on the same subject or what .I don't know

Quite simply if you are suggesting the Thunderbirds theme as the new National Anthem then either you've started drinking early or you are exemplifying the lack of common sense that your signature bemoans.

I wouldn't disagree that "God Save The Queen" is somewhat dull as an anthem. I consider Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau, La Marseillaise, The Star Spangled Banner & even God Defend New Zealand as far more rousing & inspiring; the first two in particular.

I could understand an argument for "I Vow To Thee, My Country", "Jerusalem" or "Land Of Hope And Glory" as has been suggested as an alternative; I might even support one of them. But the theme from Thunderbirds? Really?

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
I like it :) Ok so it can be a bit slow, but it's short and punchy and has words like "victorious" and "glorious" - what's not to like.

Only downside is I feel short changed when we play Ireland or NZ and others who seem to have two anthems!
NZ one is first verse in Maori the second verse English ?

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
As someone who is from Scotland, I find the words an embarrassment.
Agreed it's a pathetic song, give us Scotland the Brave or the Dark Isle , even more depressing :ROFLMAO:, the theme from Outlander. my wee pal does a cracking instrumental acoustic version, I'll try and post it (y)

Last edited:

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What an absolutely mega humungous durge our national anthem is .
Let's start a campaign to be rid of it.
Let's replace it with the Thunderbirds theme .
Or what would you put in its place.
I couldn't agree more... a pathetic, embarrassing, dirge..... yes, lets be rid & have something that represents a modern multi-cutural nation.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why are Brits so keen to erase their past?

we did bad bad things a few hundred years ago (and nobody else in the world at the time did similar) - we should sweep them under the carpet and never mentiomn them again - or the good things we did in the past that furthered the cause of humanity and democracy. Hang our heads in shame, change names, rewrite history and judge everything by the best of today. Woke up and smell the coffee

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why are Brits so keen to erase their past?
Things change... you cant stop that. Got to move with the times.
What do you think it will take to get it changed?
We've certainly got to get the crocus-crowd going hahaha. ??

Last edited:

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Things change... you cant stop that. Got to move with the times.
What do you think it will take to get it changed?
A complete removal of the monarchy.

And anyone who advocates that is a complete and utter fruit loop. But I guess you are?????

The days of revolution are long gone

D

Deleted member 1147

GSTQ is a terrible, boring song. It does nothing it rouse a team or crowd, especially when compared with the French, Italian, Chilean, Irish, Welsh or Scottish anthems.

The only song I can think of, which gets everyone engaged and behind their team, is Swing Low Sweet Chariot

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If the England rugby team insist on using our British national anthem they should at least show a bit of pride and sing it properly.
The last 6 nations game was truly awful, the few team members that were still singing finished about 5 seconds ahead of the musical backing.