My Swing Speed Journey

JGolfer

Visit site
Did that translate to HI reduction ?
Roughly, 10 yards driver distance increase from 4mph club head speed gain, is about a shot reduction in HI.
You would be looking at a 3 shot decrease.
I pretty much got that. 8mph increase, 2 shot HI reduction.
It has not, however other factors have been at play, such as swapping from parkland to links (my driver peak height is around 140ft) however I have shot my two lowest rounds +1 and +2 respectively. So we shall see how things go.

One thing I notified is, now I hit it further, my misses are much more left 🤣.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It has not, however other factors have been at play, such as swapping from parkland to links (my driver peak height is around 140ft) however I have shot my two lowest rounds +1 and +2 respectively. So we shall see how things go.

One thing I notified is, now I hit it further, my misses are much more left 🤣.

Where did u play and where have you moved to?

I used to be a member at Lee Park when I was in Liverpool.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Thought I'd post a couple of swings from my session tonight. First swing was 111mph and second was 112mph which is actually my quickest swing too, funny how it doesn't actually look that quick and it didn't feel it either.

P.s. having a garden I can use all year round is a game changer, I wouldn't be able to do any of this otherwise or it would make it much more of a chore anyway.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Thought I'd post a couple of swings from my session tonight. First swing was 111mph and second was 112mph which is actually my quickest swing too, funny how it doesn't actually look that quick and it didn't feel it either.

P.s. having a garden I can use all year round is a game changer, I wouldn't be able to do any of this otherwise or it would make it much more of a chore anyway.

Good stuff.

Are you wearing your golf shoes? You will end up on your a££ in trainers 😆 👍

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I used to play at Huyton, moved to Scotland, so play Powfoot up here
I've stayed in the caravan park at the front there. I walk the course with our dog, on the paths and when no one is playing. It always looks in superb condition. Is that standard or have I just been lucky when I have seen it?

JGolfer

Visit site
I've stayed in the caravan park at the front there. I walk the course with our dog, on the paths and when no one is playing. It always looks in superb condition. Is that standard or have I just been lucky when I have seen it?
Would say it is the standard, though some holes struggle with heavy heavy rain. But can’t say I have played it and been disappointed with its conditions.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Nice. (y) Looks very good, and great speed.

And as you say, it doesnt look as quick as it is. This impression is one of the hallmarks of fast clubhead speed, and a mistake some of the speed sceptics make. They think high speed is about great muscular effort with visible straining of every sinew as you are borderline out of control like a long driver champion. I think the key gains amateurs of all levels get from speed training, is feeling their way to what an actual faster clubhead speed is - and it isnt brute force. But instead you are feeling your way down a funnelled path of swing improvement. And the faster speed comes, if anything, with a swing that looks easier, or no quicker than before. And its a better swing ! Not a worse one, putting more balls in trouble than a slower swing. Win win.

Swing coaching moved through - copy me - to - copy these stop action photographs - to - copy this video - to - now I can easily video myself on the phone and see if my video looks like the one on youtube.
And so people were overly obsessed with positions and trying to replicate certain images they had in mind of themselves as certain times in the swing.

While distance wins in the modern game and so every yard is a step to better golf - as much of the gain in speed training comes from the dynamics learning process that accompanies it, rather than a statics oriented one.

Going to start Stack in the new year. 105mph the goal. We shall see.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Nice. (y) Looks very good, and great speed.

And as you say, it doesnt look as quick as it is. This impression is one of the hallmarks of fast clubhead speed, and a mistake some of the speed sceptics make. They think high speed is about great muscular effort with visible straining of every sinew as you are borderline out of control like a long driver champion. I think the key gains amateurs of all levels get from speed training, is feeling their way to what an actual faster clubhead speed is - and it isnt brute force. But instead you are feeling your way down a funnelled path of swing improvement. And the faster speed comes, if anything, with a swing that looks easier, or no quicker than before. And its a better swing ! Not a worse one, putting more balls in trouble than a slower swing. Win win.

Swing coaching moved through - copy me - to - copy these stop action photographs - to - copy this video - to - now I can easily video myself on the phone and see if my video looks like the one on youtube.
And so people were overly obsessed with positions and trying to replicate certain images they had in mind of themselves as certain times in the swing.

While distance wins in the modern game and so every yard is a step to better golf - as much of the gain in speed training comes from the dynamics learning process that accompanies it, rather than a statics oriented one.

Going to start Stack in the new year. 105mph the goal. We shall see.
Thank you, that's a great reply too.

You're right though, even if I don't get quicker (which I've no doubt I will), my actual mechanics are definitely much better in terms of body movement and loading into my trail and then lead sides.

D

Deleted member 1147

Are you swinging left handed as well ?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Watched an interesting video from Buzza on speed training the other day. He mentions about the importance of rest during and after the sessions. Talks about watching sprinters in the gym. Very short bursts of intense training and then a lot of rest. Seems to make sense when training for speed and not endurance.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
my actual mechanics are definitely much better in terms of body movement and loading into my trail and then lead sides.

Be very careful you don't develop a sway, that can be ok off the tee but kill your contact.
You may see the long drive champs sway onto their back foot which is fine for them, but they never have to hit the ball off the ground.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
How do you know you are swinging it correctly, as in getting in the right positions.
I'm assuming this is just for driver and as a by product your irons get faster as well?

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
How do you know you are swinging it correctly, as in getting in the right positions.
I'm assuming this is just for driver and as a by product your irons get faster as well?
The end result tells whether the positions were correct or not. Were the likes of Trevino, Furyk, Darcy, Daly, Dustin, Lyle, Monty, Duval, getting into the right positions. Arguable if you look at videos or frame captures. But unarguably they were if you acknowledge whatever they were doing made them in the best 0.0000001% of golfers in the world.

On irons, I have seen speed increases on all clubs, and better strike. 6i speed would have been 79-80. Now 84-85.

But the warning on sway is valid. Long driving contest swing is a different animal completely.

D

Deleted member 1147

Yes, the level 1 program does 3x dominant swings then 3x non-dominant at the different weights.
Wait 'til you start doing them on your knees. A mate of mine did it, said it's very hard to keep your balance.