My Swing Speed Journey

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Second that. PRGR is an excellent little tool, and great value. For speed training, nothing more is needed. Simplicity itself.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
6 sessions in, really enjoying the training so far. I'm doing it all in my garden so having a decent warm up is essential.

Seeing some upwards movement, during tonight's baseline test I hit 111mph, averaged out at 109, which is the fastest I've swung with the 2 weights so far.

Screenshot-20231206-185308-Rypstick.jpg

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
6 sessions in, really enjoying the training so far. I'm doing it all in my garden so having a decent warm up is essential.

Seeing some upwards movement, during tonight's baseline test I hit 111mph, averaged out at 109, which is the fastest I've swung with the 2 weights so far.

How does the speed of the stick translate to club head speed?

Are you doing anything differnt in technique to try and up the speed?

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
How does the speed of the stick translate to club head speed?

Are you doing anything differnt in technique to try and up the speed?
The app shows 109mph as being 261 yards in carry. I haven't actually tested the PRGR out with a ball yet so will be interesting to see what I can get with the max swing.

In terms of technique, I'm just concentrating on a big turn, allowing my body to react to it, and making sure the stick is swooshing where it's supposed to be.

Springveldt

Visit site

Good progress and you are starting to get that first initial jump. It will probably plateau in a few sessions time.

How are you managing to do it in your garden? Mine is like a swap at the minute and I tear up all the grass when doing speed training. I've started to lay a spare bit of fake grass down now but even with that it's too wet to do anything at the moment.

I haven't done any speed work in about 3 or 4 months now so just waiting on the ground drying out a touch to start again.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The app shows 109mph as being 261 yards in carry. I haven't actually tested the PRGR out with a ball yet so will be interesting to see what I can get with the max swing.

In terms of technique, I'm just concentrating on a big turn, allowing my body to react to it, and making sure the stick is swooshing where it's supposed to be.

Really interesting video here on pressures in the golf swing and how early the long guys are getting back into their left side.

I had a mess about with this feeling at the range last night. First time I've ever "got off the ground".
For the life of me I couldn't work out how it's done. I was obviously far far too late moving the pressure.

It would be intresting to see if this increases clubhead speed and by how much.

Attemped the same feeling with the iron. Didn't get off the ground but seen some fantastic ball flights doing it.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
109mph is about 260 carry with a driver, so they must be basing it that stick speed is the same as a driver.

For speed, I found :
- faster backswing (depends what you are starting with of course)
- wrists as loose as possible : trebuchet or flail idea
- snap straighten the lead leg while pushing the lead hip back on the downswing (timing of this feels critical)
- feeling of leaving the clubhead behind at transition and pulling it back along inline with the shaft parallel at the top of the backswing
- intent !

All have contributed to a better swing overall I feel. Better strike, more consistent.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Good progress and you are starting to get that first initial jump. It will probably plateau in a few sessions time.

How are you managing to do it in your garden? Mine is like a swap at the minute and I tear up all the grass when doing speed training. I've started to lay a spare bit of fake grass down now but even with that it's too wet to do anything at the moment.

I haven't done any speed work in about 3 or 4 months now so just waiting on the ground drying out a touch to start again.
We had our garden done earlier this year and it's artificial grass now, it was completely unusable and now we can use it all year round, thankfully for me right now.

Really interesting video here on pressures in the golf swing and how early the long guys are getting back into their left side.

I had a mess about with this feeling at the range last night. First time I've ever "got off the ground".
For the life of me I couldn't work out how it's done. I was obviously far far too late moving the pressure.

It would be intresting to see if this increases clubhead speed and by how much.

Attemped the same feeling with the iron. Didn't get off the ground but seen some fantastic ball flights doing it.
Thanks, I will have a proper look at that video shortly, it's definitely a move that generates a lot of speed and power.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I see technical changes for speed as the low hanging fruit in this enterprise. Gain speed without the huffing and puffing of the training.

The long drive guys do it all. Technique, weight training and speed training. That's how they reach their max.

They seem quite open about "how" they do their swings. Quite often working together as their community seems tight knit.

Swango1980

Visit site
Weird that I coincidentally saw this thread today, as I've literally gone on Amazon this morning and ordered a PRGR Portable Golf Launch Monitor.

I thought it would be interesting to see what my swing speed is, and if I can come up with a plan to improve it.

Maybe it's to get ready for the new shorter golf balls when the rules change :)

JGolfer

Visit site
That’s great progress!

Have you seen much improvement out on the course in terms of distance
I have, it has made course management far more important however, some holes I could previously hit driver, however no driver runs out of room. On the flip side some holes I can be far more aggressive as driver can carry hazards, that previously where in play.