My swing... Please go easy!

DaveyG

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Haven't done this because I have always been too embarassed but have loved the feedback others have been getting... Please guys give me the honest truth...

I feel I come over the top and overswing would you agree? I am sure there is alot more wrong with it but any advice would be great. thanks...

http://swingreader.com/video/view/3OFJed75/7-iron

http://swingreader.com/video/view/KNmdXrbM/7-iron

Both with a 7iron sorry I don't know how I can slow them down.

As I say all input would be greatly appreciated. I tend to push shots which I believe is due to the over the top swing... It has definitely got better and the top video was this evening.

Last edited:

DaveyG

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I can see the video. The posture looks a little hunched in video 1

I agree, I didn't feel right tonight I think I may have been too far from the ball.

Cant wait for JustOne to rip this apart... although he does talk sense to be fair.

B

birdieman

Link works ok for me.

Swing tempo is pretty quick, maybe slow backswing and transition to downswing a bit.
Swing is too steep which is leading to a very high hands finish, more flex in knees and standing a fraction further from ball may help.
Club is laid off at top of backswing so is pointing left of target, that has to be corrected somewhere on the downswing so will lead to inconsistencies - easy fix by amending the wrist angle.

Not bad action, imo not far off a decent action, a few tweaks needed perhaps.:smirk:

DaveyG

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Link works ok for me.

Swing tempo is pretty quick, maybe slow backswing and transition to downswing a bit.
Swing is too steep which is leading to a very high hands finish, more flex in knees and standing a fraction further from ball may help.
Club is laid off at top of backswing so is pointing left of target, that has to be corrected somewhere on the downswing so will lead to inconsistencies - easy fix by amending the wrist angle.

Not bad action, imo not far off a decent action, a few tweaks needed perhaps.:smirk:

Cheers mate, not going to argue with that... there is definitely work to be done.

Seeing my pro on saturday for my second lesson, he has had me ripping my driver for the first time and alot more consistency with irons after one lesson... He has already pointed out there is work to be done but I am feeling confident about it. When you say wrist angle do you mean right from the start when I place the club behind the ball.

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Ha ha no way mate, small world, I was talking to you Sunday and I think I took that video for you in Video 2. I was watching the link and thought I recognise that lad ha ha

I will add he strikes the ball well when he catches it.

DaveyG

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
That's mental mate... 2 things -1 I was gonna drop you a msg and say how about that round. 2 I thought imagine if you we're DaveyBoy! The weird thing is out of all the blokes in the world why would I think that when we never spoke about here at all. Dodgy!

Definitely go for a round soon mate. Calders will only cost you about 12 if you come with me.

B

birdieman

Cheers mate, not going to argue with that... there is definitely work to be done.

Seeing my pro on saturday for my second lesson, he has had me ripping my driver for the first time and alot more consistency with irons after one lesson... He has already pointed out there is work to be done but I am feeling confident about it. When you say wrist angle do you mean right from the start when I place the club behind the ball.

The club is being laid off near the top of the backswing, you can't really put the wrist in that position at address.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
The 7I video link seems to be working OK. The length of the backswing looks great to me and I wouldnt say that you cut across it either.

The takeaway looks a little rushed so perhaps take a bit more care and time taking the club away.

:thup:

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm a similar standard golfer to you, so feel free to disregard what I say next, but it's something I'm working hard on and something that I think I can see a bit of in the second video.

I think you lose your spine angle slightly on the downswing, the cause of this being that your right leg (and consequently your right hip) is thrust forward. If you look at where your bum is at the start of the backswing versus where it is at impact, I think it's nearer the ball. I'm trying to retain my spine angle for longer by moving my right knee to the left and towards the target at the start of the downswing rather than towards the ball. I can't do it every time yet, but when I get it right the result is a much more consistent strike. There are lots of videos on the web that illustrate this better than I can explain.

When I'm struggling with my swing, which can be quite often, I go back to thinking about the very basics. Essentially, you need to be able to return the club back to its starting position so as few moving parts as possible, so a twist of the torso one way, and then a twist back the other with a little bit of weight shift and a lot of relaxation - keeping pretty much everything else as well balanced and stationery as I can.

As I said, I'm no great golfer so if you don't think this is relevant to you ignore me - but if it is even the slightest bit as helpful to you as it was to me when my coach explained it to me last week then brilliant.

DaveyG

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The 7I video link seems to be working OK. The length of the backswing looks great to me and I wouldnt say that you cut across it either.

The takeaway looks a little rushed so perhaps take a bit more care and time taking the club away.

:thup:

Cheers bud

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Cant wait for JustOne to rip this apart... although he does talk sense to be fair.

Ha! I was going to say that it's a pretty good swing with nice tempo and you shouldn't have worried about posting it..... but now I'm NOT going to say that :D

Looks OK, quite like it, have you always bowed your left wrist at the top?

DaveyG

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Ha! I was going to say that it's a pretty good swing with nice tempo and you shouldn't have worried about posting it..... but now I'm NOT going to say that :D

Looks OK, quite like it, have you always bowed your left wrist at the top?

Haha!

Yeah that's always been the case really. I am going to look at slowing the back swing just a touch do you think that could help accuracy? If I do leak shots it might go roughly 20 yrds right.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
In my opinion swinging with a bowed wrist is the hardest swing in the book as the clubface will be delofted and open through impact unless you work hard to square it.... the lazy way is not to bother and just hit fades by chucking the club ove.... erm, by swinging out-to-in. Shortening your backswing won't really help you to square the face.

So you have choices... make small changes and try to play a solid, reliable fade, or make bigger changes.

DaveyG

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Just looking to get a few comments on how the swing is looking now.

I have worked loads on it and must admit I cant help but give up on this perfect takeaway... I have convinced myself If Furyk can hit it well with being so far off plane then surely I can have a swing thats not exactly text book.

Anyway I have really really tried to get rid of my over the top swing and to be honest without a swing eliminator I have really struggled (would highly recommend one)

Anyway ignore my mates really american sounding comment and be brutally honest...

http://www.swingreader.com/video/view/tWqvAHb7/7-iron

DaveyG

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Out of interest, what percentage of 7 iron shots went where you wanted them to go?

Secondly, is your right foot turned inwards a bit?

I don't think it is turned in from feel but will look out for it.

Honestly tonight out of 60 balls with my 7 iron only 4 sliced. I did hit a few fat though... My biggest goal was to rid the OTT and I have drawn lines on this and even though its not particularly a great strike it appears I don't come OTT.

You may well know this but if you view it in Crome or Firefox you can slow it down etc