My New driver

Liam_Austin

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I am i junior, with a swing speed of a slow adult.

Im lookin to by a new driver this week.

The list includes:
Cleveland Hibore ( silver version ) £90
Cobra F speed ( not Ld version) £80
Cobra x speed ( not ld version) £80

All are either 11.5 or 12.0 degree.

Which of these shall i choose?

Does anyone have any other suggesstions?

Cheers

Liam

stevelockie

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi Liam,

I would stay away from the Cobras as they are purportedly for faster swing speeds. The Cleveland Hi Bore is a good driver.
I would also recommend having a look at a Callaway, the Big Bertha 460cc was getting sold for £99 on some sites. Very forgiving club!

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
Liam, the guys have given you sound advice regarding Cobra. To hit a stiff shafted driver you need to swing the club 90-100 mile an hour so leave them til your a bit older, bigger and more 'tuned'. Any regular 460 dog would give you a fair bit of bite off the tee but if I could turn the clock back a whole lot of years, even at your age I would try and get fitted.

Good luck Daniel Son.

(your dad will get that comment)

( I am showing my age )

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Liam, the cobra series were tested (independently) presumably by robot and were found to be exceptionaly forgiving. The club tested was an M-speed, which is the choice for you. However, the M-speed is not so readily available or cheap.

I quite like Cleveland stuff, but they hype their technology beyond the bounds of sense. Callaway FT-3 might just be available still at £129. I got one, it's great!

You might like to consider Benross V5 or V6 tri-mass, if you can't pick up a bigger name on special. Go for an 11/11.5 as a first off.

Dave

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
May as well put forward my usual suggestions, try an MD Golf Superstrong EQL a great club at under £100.00. Or if you are looking for a fitted club try an Orka Kii, fairly unheard of at the moment but I have one and swear by it.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just looked on ORKA's site. You can get a fitted driver for £99. Anyone out there know how good it is?

Personally, I'm planning to go to them for a fitted square head - but I will wait until after the lessons.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not tried the square head but have the Kii with the moveable weights. Having owned an R7460 I would say that it is the equal of that but cheaper and fully fitted. The main selling point is the fitting. This is not a case of taking a couple of measurements and working out the shaft flex. The club fitter I saw spent the best part of 2 hours with me to work out the right club and measurements. My driver is fitted with a shaft out of one of my clubs and that kep the cost even lower. Have since bought I hybrid with the Orka UST shaft in it and I am happy to say that it is pretty good. Have been so impressed with the 2 clubs that I own that I am going back to the club fitter on Monday to try out the irons and wedges. Really do think they are worth a try and suspect that they will have a reputation similar to that of MD soon.