My first comp

bulldogoscar

Visit site
I am entering my first comp this weekend,looking for any tips or advice.I play off 28 and have been told to use my handicap...What does this mean.???
any advice welcome

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It means use your SHOTS on each hole to your advantage.i presume your playing a stapleford which means your trying to score 2points on each hole.so against the s/i on each hole you will allocate your handicap acorrdingly. off full h/c on s/i 1 to 10 you will have 2 shots from 11 to 18 you will have 1 shot.so a green in regulation for you could be three or four shots. so you could score a six on a par four with 2 shots and score 2 points.the way to remember it is. a scrach player would have to par a hole to score 2 points. so if you score a par 4 with one shot on the hole you will get three points. most important thing to remember is play the percentages dont go for the career shot.

par_par_par_treble

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I would say for your first comp, just play your normal game and don’t get too concerned with your score.

Forget the bad holes, enjoy the good ones then look at the score at the end.

Playing off 28 means you can afford a bad shot or two on every hole, so don’t let them get to you

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
Also perhaps just keep your opponent's score and ask him not to tell you how many points you have got - because it's my experience that one can get very over-excited and then very nervous if you get a great start and then you begin really worrying about your score!

So the best way is just to go and enjoy it and the score will look after itself

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
The sensible plan would be to go out there and just do your thing...with no preconceived ideas about how you might do.
It takes a good few rounds to get used to playing in genuine competitions (where there is actually something real at stake, be it your handicap or to win a small prize or glory on the club board).

Playing to make the best use of your handicap is not really an easy way of thinking for a comp' novice. If it's a stableford, don't count your points (as trueblue recommends), forget the bad holes (p.p.t) and think hard about what your are considering on the holes where you have 2 shots.
In essence, play conservatively on the holes where there is real danger (o.o.b. or nasty hazards), and don't go hell for leather on the holes where you have no chance of making par, take the extra 2 shots and try to make the payback getting a net birdie by only bogeying the tough holes.

Dave

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I recently played my first comp. What I got from this was (and most has already been said):

1 Go out to enjoy it, don't get hung up on it being a comp.
2 You almost certainly won't be playing off 28 for the comp, more likely 25, unless have have already handed in your three cards and have a recorded 28.
3 You have to mark an opponents card. The important thing is to record his and your scores accurately - don't try to calculate the points if you're not sure how. Make sure you know which score goes where. It's simple but it's one less pressure if you find out before hand.
4 At 28, you will duff some shots (I certainly did) and blob (no score - net 2 over or worse) some holes. You know this - don't let it get to you. You will also do well on some holes - enjoy them.
5 Keep it simple! Do the routine things - mark and pick-up every putt etc, if you get in the sticky stuff take your lumps and just concentrate on getting back on the fairway (150 yds out off the rough onto the green is probably not an option!), try not to play the glory shot but when you do (because you will) don't be too disappointed when it doesn't come off. (The difficult thing is that you may not recognise that it is a glory shot!)
6 You are playing against your handicap not against your partner (unless it's match play) - he's playing against his handicap. If he has a lower handicap you're not going to equal his gross score but you might his net score (on some holes). Play your game not his.

7 You will enjoy it - best of luck

bulldogoscar

Visit site
Thanks for all advice.
Played last weekend,bit nervous on first tee,went with 5 iron down middle of fairway to settlre the nerves.My hcap was cut to 24 as my hcap is 28.
Scored 26 pts and came in 13th out of 28.
Should of picked up few more points but missed few 4ft putts.Overall enjoyed it.