My first boo boo under the new rules

Wolf

Visit site
I honestly don't get the issue with knee height drops.

Most people bend forward to address a ball, they tend to bend further forward to address a putt and had to bend right over to put a tee in the ground. If you can do any of these then to simply extend the arm to drop from knee height is unbelievably simple.

I've seen so many people trying to contort sideways to do it when you really don't have to

Last edited:

Homer

Visit site
I honestly don't get the issue with knee height drops.

Most people bend forward to address a ball, they tend to bend further forward to address a putt and had to bend right over to put a tee in the ground. If you can do any of these then to simply extend the arm to drop from knee height is unbelievably simple.

Ice seen so many people trying to contort sideways to do it when you really don't have to

This!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Yeah I'm happy with the knee drop
I have a half circle to drop in so I won't really be dropping it at the front edge of that area so it's unlikely to roll closer
It's going about one third the speed of a shoulder drop so it generally has one tiny bounce and settles within a couple of inches of impact point, if would need a brutal slope to go further

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Saw a double hit on Wednesday that looked dubious but I guess the new rules cover it. A guy hit his putt from about a foot and it looked like he'd under hit it but the exaggerated follow through/flick saw it into the hole.

Maybe you had to be there to gauge how bad it looked but it just didn't sit right.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Saw a double hit on Wednesday that looked dubious but I guess the new rules cover it. A guy hit his putt from about a foot and it looked like he'd under hit it but the exaggerated follow through/flick saw it into the hole.

Maybe you had to be there to gauge how bad it looked but it just didn't sit right.

sounds like a push/cheat shot

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is not my experience, I've yet to have to re-drop, playing twice a week since the new rules came in.
Also you are aware I am sure that you are only required to re-drop once. If on the second drop the ball finishes outside of the relief area the ball myst be placed on the spot where the ball landed.
If he's redropping because of incorrect procedure (as posted) you aren't in the cycle you indicate regarding where the ball finishes.

As to the concept of not near enough to knee height...i thought the ruling bodies had made it clear enough that it's not supposed to be a science. The fact that with any slope the actual height between where it's released and the ground can legally vary quite significantly at the choice of the player shows this well.
It's blindingly obvious when a player is trying to drop from his knee height - that's good enough to get on with the game.
As and when conditions dry out the difference in outcomes will also change dramatically (between knee and shoulder height) - right now the differences aren't as great; on any significant slope it's going to be a redrop anyway, and on the flat, dropped in the middle of the relief area, either will probably remain in.
Yes, old habits are hard to break - but new golfers won't have them and the rest will get used to it.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

Another case where it's usually blindingly obvious whether the club head has re-routed (line or subsequent acceleration) after the first contact, making it a stroke at a moving ball rather than a double hit.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Fine, what ever.

We have a lot of tractor marks on the course at the moment, and lots of GUR due to work being done. Probably average 3 drops per round, may be more. It is tiresome remembering, and also checking others drops. And it has solved nothing. Most drops need at least one redrop may be two. A pointless rule change, in my view.
In the comp on Saturday, one of my playing partners had 6 redrops from one drop, as he kept dropping from near knee height, but not near enough. Is that ok? No, drop it from knee height. Jeez did it waste time. Were the results any different? No. But it is the rules. Stupid.
It may not be to everyone's taste but I don't think it's actually significant enough to be upset about. You just drop it and move on. I would never ever make someone redrop it to get the precise knee height, that is ridiculous. If someone drops it from 6 inches above their knee what difference does it make to me? Let's just get on with it. If they dropped it from waist/shoulder height I'd remind them it's meant to be knee height, but that's it.

Last edited:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Another case where it's usually blindingly obvious whether the club head has re-routed (line or subsequent acceleration) after the first contact, making it a stroke at a moving ball rather than a double hit.

I did ask but it then became yes you did no you didn't discussion. Another player approached me in the car park afterwards and asked if I was going to sign the card. As you know, not signing doesn't make any difference. At least his 19pts didn't trouble the scoreboard.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Nah, I am 6ft 2.

Any way, welcome back. Again. You should let Crawford know you are back, he has been missing you.

Love this association I have with the mythical one. Considering I've never met the man/woman let alone spoken to them!

😂😂😂

You stick to your Ping bashing threads I can handle them.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The changes were to aid the pace of play and simplify the game. Since we get to 'place' after two drops and a roll back why not place it in the first place within the permitted zone no nearer the hole?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In the comp on Saturday, one of my playing partners had 6 redrops from one drop, as he kept dropping from near knee height, but not near enough. Is that ok? No, drop it from knee height. Jeez did it waste time. Were the results any different? No. But it is the rules. Stupid.

That's something that has not really changed I know loads of players who, apparently, were incapable of dropping from shoulder height, me included on occasions.

Visit site
Not quite the same, but a couple of rounds ago I had a double hit, which was accompanied by a very audible "Oh, f***". To which one of my PP's replied "New rules. You shouldn't be f***ing any more ...."
A whole 18hrs without a mod editing your post. You've done well 👍

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I dont understand people who cant 'get' what knee height means. Everyone has knees, we all know where they are. Simply bend down enough to have the ball at around your own knees height and drop the bloody thing!

It's really as simple as that. Grown men bleating about this is honestly just nonsense, if ever the term man up should be used, it's now!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I dont understand people who cant 'get' what knee height means. Everyone has knees, we all know where they are. Simply bend down enough to have the ball at around your own knees height and drop the bloody thing!

It's really as simple as that. Grown men bleating about this is honestly just nonsense, if ever the term man up should be used, it's now!

You wait until you get to my age with my injuries.:)

On second thoughts I hope you never have those injuries.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Here's a thought for those who claim problems with dropping from knee height....

After you've bent down to pick your ball up, just do the the drop as the ball passes knee height on your way back up to standing... ???