My Fairway Wood Fitting With GM & AG

A

Alex1975

I arrived at AG in Milton Keynes a little early and headed inside to look at the toys before my fitting. As I headed in I was greeted by Paul and his photographer and ushered into the fitting booth. It seems that the 12 o’clock guy had not shown up and so it’s time for me to step up to the plate. Although it’s an indoor fitting room there is load of room and a nice bit of tech to show the stats, lots of screens and all looks very nice.

I warmed my back up with a few swings and launched into the new very white Taylor Made R11, it’s not as bad looking in the flesh in my opinion. It was ok and looking back on it a bit of a blur, ironic really as that is the shaft that is in it. The fitter and I did not even talk about it; he just took it out of my hand and passed me the Mizuno JPX 800.

Now the Mizuno JPX is actually a pretty nice club, it has its own shaft in it but felt crisp and punchy. The fitter felt it was going a little high, the same as the R11 had he tells me and a little too much spin and no roll out, the ball is just falling out of the sky.

Now to the Ping I15 and the start of my head scratching as this is a really great club and the fitter had put a heavy, stiff UST Axivcore shaft, I think 78 or 81 grams. Lovely low tough ball flight, easy to hit with a nice low profile head that I felt I could hit off the deck all day. Down came the spin to about 2500 and lots of roll out at the end of the ark, this is going to be hard to beat I thought.

Yay its Titleist 910F time, they did not have a stiff shaft so there would be a little bit of guess work with this one but I wanted to give it a test. Again it felt really good, not as punchy as the Ping but I would think that was down to the floppy shaft. The head is nice and small but does not hug the ground as much as the Ping. So a few shots with the 910 and it really is special and a fair bit longer than anything else I hit that day, the same carry but a lot more roll out, the flight was a little above the Ping but still a lot lower than the others, I guess it’s a mid flight.

That was the end of the fitting and I think everyone rather wanted an answer out of me as to what I would like to take home. The AG guy had made it clear that if I wanted the 910D he would get me one with the shaft I wanted and I ummed and arred and went for the Titleist.

A quick photo and interview with the GM guys and the jobs a good un. I would like to thank both GM, Paul and AG for this, it was great fun, the guy knew what he was doing, of that there is no doubt, I challenged him on shafts and stats and he knew it all, I have faith in how it was gone about.

After the fitting myself, fundy and Losttheplot headed to AVGC for a quick 18 holes and as has seemed to be the case when I play forum members, I played crap… well crap ish, better crap that my normal crap, I could just not chip or putt for toffee and there was not even any toffee on offer. Lostheplot(Steve)is a great guy and was good company and he hits the odd super golf shot too, he does like his pink tees though. I will let him tell you about his club choice and day though.

Come on my 910D come to me sooooon.

Al

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Another happy customer Alex, were lesser brands even considered? Also, sounds like you had your heart set on a 910 before the fitting as the Ping performed well, with the right shaft?

A

Alex1975

Another happy customer Alex, were lesser brands even considered? Also, sounds like you had your heart set on a 910 before the fitting as the Ping performed well, with the right shaft?

Nope, no lesser brands were offered to me, the AG manager/pro/fitter asked me about my game and my other clubs and shafts before we got started.

I really wanted the 910 before I went and after trying the Ping I thought it was not going to be able to perform for me but it did and was about 10 yards longer. As I sit here now I am still not sure I did the right thing but I am thinking that about knocking my wife up and she is 8 months gone so I guess thats normal. I did not expect two clubs to be in the running, its more normal for me when shopping to have that eureka moment. I am very very happy and will be looking forward to having the right shaft in the right club.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Fair enough, i guess the fitters can asse your best fit shaft from the previous readings - and it is a freebie aftet all!!

Good luck for upcoming fatherhood - presume its your first?

Ps what were the scores on the doors at AVGC? :D

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Having not been picked for the fitting, my plan was just for the game with the guys afterwards. However, the phone went at 12.30ish and as one guy hadnt surfaced I was offered a last minute fitting, which I gratefully accepted.

When I got there they already had 3 choices out for me, a Mizuno (i think the MP630), a Ping (I think a G15) and a Calloway (I think an FT Tour).

After a very quick warm up I started hitting the Mizuno with a stiff shaft. The club felt very light and the shaft very soft, and the ball felt as though it was popping up too much.

Next was the Ping, again with a stiff shaft, and again the shaft was just too soft. It was the longest of those I tried but the shaft was way too soft and I was starting to turn the ball over.

The final option was a Calloway FT Tour, with an X Stiff shaft. Instantly this felt far more more solid at impact and the dispersion was much smaller. A this point I asked if it was possile to try anything in a 13 degree (All previously had been 15) and he brought out the Calloway Diablo, but with a stiff shaft. Again the shaft was too soft.

I went back to the FT tour and hit a few more and was happy with the shaft option so settled on that one. Half an hour earlier I was sat at home waiting for the guys to finish and here I was with a new 3 wood :). I'm not certain it would have been my first choice if I had carte blanche of all the clubs with the correct shaft options, but it is a very decent option and hopefully one that I will get on with.

From there we headed upto AVGC where we had a very relaxed and enjoyable game, for the most part the company was better than the golf for most of us. There were some minor flashes of brilliance, but none of us put together a decent round over the full 18.

I'd like to say a big thank you to GM and AG for the fitting and the 3 wood, and also to Steve who it was great to meet and play with, great company and a decent golfer to boot :)

A

Alex1975

What are the new Mizuno woods like. They've not really got a great reputation (certainly alongside Ping, Titleist etc) in that field so is the JPX going to change that

I read a bit about the JPX a bit before going and watched some YouTube review, the club is aimed at the everyman golfer and that is exactly how it felt.

I left out that I tried the Cally Octane too, if I had to put the clubs I tried in order it would be:

Callaway Octane
Taylor Made R11
Mizuno JPX 800
Ping i15
Titliest 910d

So you would have to say it's in the mix.

I think Mizuno are still doing some MP woods!? But I did note that non of the Mizuno woods made the Golf Digest Hot List 2011.

MarkHK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I too had a great day at the fitting, Paul and the AG staff were very welcoming and made you feel at ease. The fitter asked about my game and my current clubs and asked what club I was after, I told him I was after a 5 wood. He then came back with a ping g15, Wilson fybrid, mizuno JPX and the Taylor made burner superfast 2. I found that the Wilson just hit everything to low and I was not getting much carry from it and I sort of discounted it and moved onto the other three. It was difficult to spilt them as I hit them all fairly well but I was consistently getting about 10 yards extra carry from the burner so that made my mind up.

Losttheplot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hi guys, I'm still out and haven't been home yet, rushed from golf to get to my snooker match so when I get home later I'll do a report for everyone. ;)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Hi guys, I'm still out and haven't been home yet, rushed from golf to get to my snooker match so when I get home later I'll do a report for everyone. ;)

No no no!!

Sorry Steve that just isn't good enough.
We need to know and we need to know now!! :D