My 1st Medal

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
Hi all, just thought I would mention how I got on in my 1st club medal today.

Started off with a par, all good and well, however on the 2nd my round desended into a nightmare with my trusty 3-wood failing me off the tee. I ended up 5 off the tee and finished the hole with a 10. This was followed by a 7 on a par 4, and 7 on a par 5, a par on a par 3 followed by a 7 on another par 4.

By this time I was very hacked off with myself but decided to block it out of my mind, I told myself that I was now nicely lossened up and ready to show my partners the golf I can play.

What followed was an absolute turnaround in my fortunes. I went Par, Par, Bogey, Bogey, par, Double, Par, Par, Par, Bogey, Bogey Par.

As I had started on the back 9 I ended up carding a personal best 41 for the front 9.

After deducting my handicap I finished with a net 65 which should be good enough for a decent place. Were it not for a couple of duff chips and silly putts or the horrific start I would have had a result.

In the end however I am absolutely delighted to have recovered from a potential disaster and play some nice golf. A great day it was and I can't wait til the next medal.

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
Well done Jon on your 1st Medal competition. :D

To be honest, I've never played one,terrified of them, usually opting for Stableford competitions instead.
Looks like your back nine was your saviour. The main thing is that you came good when you needed to.

I guess you will now be looking forward to the next medal competition, now you've "lost your cherry" and finished well. ;)

Well done mate, well played. :)

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Par 68, nett 65.....not bad.

The first few times out, a medal is terribly scary, and I'm not surprised you had a couple of shockers.

Not to worry, next time do your best on the holes where you slipped up today and play the others as good as you can obviously do!

41 front 9.....very impressive.....I'd say you were in for a cut....

Nice job, it takes a solid mind to recover from a bad start.

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
Thanks for the nice comments chaps.

It would be easy to beat myself up over the start but like has been said, nerves do funny things to you and after starting with a par perhaps I was lulled into a false sense of security.

To play the front 9 +6 is something that has really got my brain ticking over, I lost 3 strokes that I should never have lost, 1 duff chip and 2 silly putts. I know that it is easy to say but were it not for those it would have been +3 for the 9.

My partners today were guys I have never met before, they were great company and one even paid for the lunch!

Today has really inspired me to practise more and seek out more consistency. I hope that one day by doing this I will become a decent golfer.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the nice comments chaps.

To play the front 9 +6 is something that has really got my brain ticking over, I lost 3 strokes that I should never have lost, 1 duff chip and 2 silly putts. I know that it is easy to say but were it not for those it would have been +3 for the 9.

I know what its like to dwell on things like this after a round, i do it all the time, especially when I'm 3 off breaking 80 and had a 3 off the tee or 2 lost balls, but its much better to think about all the little chips that dropped and the long putts that sunk that dont normally, the ones that gave you the 6 over instead of 11 or 12 maybe.

Always take the positives out of your game, not the negatives, you cant drop em all mate.

Once again well done, I bet you really did have some good shots to look back on today! ;)

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Great round Jon after the first 6 holes. Sounds like you enjoyed it.

Don't want to scare you or the other guys at the Cobtree meet but do you realise that for the last 12 holes you were all of 6 over par i.e. playing to a 9 handicap. :eek: :eek:

Where do you leave the horse and sombrero when you get to the club?

By my reckoning and dependant on how your handicap secretary works, your cut might be based on a net score of about 59/60. Could be a cut in the region of 2.4.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Well done and look forward to seeing you getting cut further. Its one of the good things about medals being drawn in that you get to meet loads more members. Some you won't hit it off with but that is the same anywhere. At least you won't feel quite so nervous next time and so you may have a more consistent start.

Don't worry about shots wasted. That is what handicaps are for and as you improve you will make less mistakes, your handicap will come down and the trophy cabinet will fill up

AliB

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Great effort to pull back after that opening - shows you have a great golf temperament - hang on to it - it's priceless.

AliB