Murcar Golf Links (Aberdeen)

kevinmarkham

Assistant Pro
theirishgolfblog.com
Keeping with the theme of golf links around Aberdeen (Evahakool made it to Trump... I just passed the gates), here's a full set of photos from Murcar Links. Doesn't get the kudos of its neighbours (Cruden Bay, Royal Aberdeen or Trump) but this is a seriously fun and testing course.

Royal Aberdeen and Murcar actually back onto each other. You could walk off the 9th green at Royal Aberdeen and step onto the 4th tee box at Murcar, without even noticing you'd crossed a 'boundary'.

Photos are here.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Played it a couple of times as my brother was a member - excellent track. But bleedin' cold on a blowy winters day - quick dram had to be had on 2nd tee :)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Keeping with the theme of golf links around Aberdeen (Evahakool made it to Trump... I just passed the gates), here's a full set of photos from Murcar Links. Doesn't get the kudos of its neighbours (Cruden Bay, Royal Aberdeen or Trump) but this is a seriously fun and testing course.

Royal Aberdeen and Murcar actually back onto each other. You could walk off the 9th green at Royal Aberdeen and step onto the 4th tee box at Murcar, without even noticing you'd crossed a 'boundary'.

Photos are here.

It has apparently been done! I've heard stories of groups of Japanese going Awol!

kevinmarkham

Assistant Pro
theirishgolfblog.com
Yep, I chatted with one of the greens staff who swore three Japanese golfers had started on Royal Aberdeen and ended up in Murcar's clubhouse, calling the cops because they thought their car had been stolen. Which would mean they'd also played 24 golf holes!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Yep, I chatted with one of the greens staff who swore three Japanese golfers had started on Royal Aberdeen and ended up in Murcar's clubhouse, calling the cops because they thought their car had been stolen. Which would mean they'd also played 24 golf holes!

That's the one! Good story, but likely one invented/embellished for gullible foreigners!

Landlocked

Hacker
Visit site
Another great set of photos - thanks a lot.

I found Murcar the toughest out of Royal Aberdeen, cruden Bay and Fraserburgh all of which I played last week. Murcar I played in the calmest winds but the fairways are tight and the run-offs a problem.

A great course and a friendlier, more personal welcome than at the adjacent Royal Aberdeen.

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site

Photos are here.

I've seen some bunkers but that one in photo 4733 looks a bit much