Mulligan's in golf comp!

Kennysarmy

Visit site
Never played in a competition before where mulligans were allowed!

Could there be any strategy to this?

Keep them to the back nine where more scores have to count I'm thinking.

337583.jpg

D

Deleted member 16999

It’s a non-qualifying comp, maybe it’s historical or particularly relevant to Mike Alcott.

We play 2 (non-qualifying) comps that do not comply with 1 or 2 rules of Golf, but have been played for over 100yrs.

Enjoy it.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
It’s a non-qualifying comp, maybe it’s historical or particularly relevant to Mike Alcott.

We play 2 (non-qualifying) comps that do not comply with 1 or 2 rules of Golf, but have been played for over 100yrs.

Enjoy it.
I reckon there must be many historical qualifying comps where a lot of players don't comply with 1 or 2 rules of golf. :eek:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have always tred to get our guys to play one of these but one rule I would make is that Mulligans cannot be taken on the putting green.

The format I would use is that Mulligans are taken as your handicap strokes e.g . a 10 handicap player gets 10 Mulligans or whatever the limit is set at.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Similar to @IanM I've seen these in charity days, although I've never seem them limited to putts only. It has always made me smile that so many mulligan's were wasted in a fit of rage, duff shot, stomp to bag, drop ball, duff second shot as still angry. I made sure to only use mine when calm, not always easy.

A great fun idea, it makes you think.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I can recall playing in such events over the years. I took my mulligans on putts even if they were allowed elsewhere. I really like 4-club comps. Not seen any 4-club comps for a long time, they usually allowed a mulligan or two. One event you were allowed to throw the ball for one shot - still counted as a shot. Useful in a bad lie in a bunker or in the trees.

sunshine

Visit site
Great for a bit of fun. Adds a bit more strategy.

I used to play an annual matchplay against a mate where we had 2 mulligans each. And 2 brannigans - where you could make your opponent replay his shot. It was such a laugh.