Muckhart GC

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've played the Kings and Queens, HI 18. The Queens is the easier of the two, but both are very playable if played off the correct tees for your level. For me that's yellows and I'd guess it's the same for those in your description.

Both are an absolute pleasure to play, the whole set up there is just lovely.

I wouldn't dispute Brattys post. I haven't played Auchterarder but it's in the same landscape as gleneagles and is well spoken about.

Looking at the yardages for the Queens course I was thinking I would like to play off the whites (17h/c) the yellows look a bit short.

Having played there do you think that would be a mistake?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Looking at the yardages for the Queens course I was thinking I would like to play off the whites (17h/c) the yellows look a bit short.

It wouldn't be a mistake, it won't beat you up through distance alone. I played it one October, i think, so wasn't getting much run and we went for yellow tees because of that.

Playing off the yellows, we thoroughly enjoyed it, didn't feel cheated. It's the tightest of the three courses, although not that tight, so ball placement is more important than pure distance. From memory, it isn't that an individual hole feels short, it's just that they don't have many long holes to stretch the card out. It doesn't need to, it's good enough as it is. I would say don't get hung up on the distances on the card, the course is much more than that

The starter will ask you what tees you want to play off but if you change your mind after the 1st they won't care. The whole set up is aimed at you enjoying your day. If you have the flexibility within your group then you can always stand on each tee and make your choice then. The point is, there is no rigidity in your decision, except from your own group.

If you were asking this question of the King's I would err on the side of caution. For the Queen's I'd say take your pick but allow yourself the grace of changing your mind if you want to part way through. I'm sure you'll love it. If you don't enjoy playing there then it's time to find a new sport 😄

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site

You should be fine playing from the white tees, the first 6 holes are where you need to hang on and play well and then from 7 onwards there are plenty birdie chances.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
It wouldn't be a mistake, it won't beat you up through distance alone. I played it one October, i think, so wasn't getting much run and we went for yellow tees because of that.

Playing off the yellows, we thoroughly enjoyed it, didn't feel cheated. It's the tightest of the three courses, although not that tight, so ball placement is more important than pure distance. From memory, it isn't that an individual hole feels short, it's just that they don't have many long holes to stretch the card out. It doesn't need to, it's good enough as it is. I would say don't get hung up on the distances on the card, the course is much more than that

The starter will ask you what tees you want to play off but if you change your mind after the 1st they won't care. The whole set up is aimed at you enjoying your day. If you have the flexibility within your group then you can always stand on each tee and make your choice then. The point is, there is no rigidity in your decision, except from your own group.

If you were asking this question of the King's I would err on the side of caution. For the Queen's I'd say take your pick but allow yourself the grace of changing your mind if you want to part way through. I'm sure you'll love it. If you don't enjoy playing there then it's time to find a new sport 😄
That's a great write up LT.
I'm playing with my brother Rlburnside so I'm sure we'll enjoy either tee. Have to say, I loved your last sentence though. 🤣🤣

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
That's a great write up LT.
I'm playing with my brother Rlburnside so I'm sure we'll enjoy either tee. Have to say, I loved your last sentence though. 🤣🤣
I am conscious I get a bit carried away with Gleneagles. I've been up there twice and it's my favourite place to play golf. I love it, every aspect. Visually, course design, it's all that I love, the King's course in particular.

I hope I don't over egg it too much, to a point where it can't meet expectations. Reduce my comments, small child who has had too many Haribo's, and just enjoy.

(Ball markers and pitch repairers are thankfully inexpensive in the wonderful but expensive club shop 😉)

Last edited:

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Thanks for your input very helpful, as you say the most important thing is to enjoy the day and experience, I’ll have a think and make my mind up nearer the time, we’re playing at the end of April.

Chris (Golfmmad). is playing off 21 so I might go off the whites and put him off the yellows 😂

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not sure if it has been mentioned earlier but make sure to allow enough time to really enjoy the Gleneagles experience. Hit some balls on the range, have some food or at least a coffee in the Dormie house, take wander round the grounds and the main hotel. It really is a first class day out so make the most of it.
And enjoy a hot chocolate in the half way house so make sure you have a card/phone with payment option, in your bag. No need to rush around the course, it's there to be enjoyed...........

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks for your input very helpful, as you say the most important thing is to enjoy the day and experience, I’ll have a think and make my mind up nearer the time, we’re playing at the end of April.

Chris (Golfmmad). is playing off 21 so I might go off the whites and put him off the yellows 😂
Cheeky 🤣🤣
I don't mind going off either tee. Didn't you know, I can hit forum distances. 😭