MS petition

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
Hi everyone - it's another request from me but if you have to choose one please prioritise this :)

Some of you will know that just under 7 years ago I was diagnosed with MS. I was in a pretty bad way and our first child had just been born. But I got very lucky and accessed a clinical drug trial at Addenbrookes Hospital.

Fast forward to today and I have been relapse free for six and a half years and am much better. I can run and play football again and have plenty of energy for my kids.

However, although the drug is now licensed only some people can access it - the dreaded MS postcode lottery.

Please help us to change this so more people can benefit from this fantastic treatment. We need 100,000 signatures which is a very tall order but with your help we can get there. Thank you :thup:

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/74987

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I used to be UK Medical Director for Biogen (Pharma company which makes a number of MS drugs) and the funding situation in the UK used to be dire and an embarrassment. Following the NICE appraisal of the interferons a scheme was introduced where UK patients should have been able to get treatment underwritten by a guarantee to the NHS from the Pharma companies involved about the outcomes the NHS should get. This has been partially successful but sadly with increasing fragmentation of the NHS it has never been fully delivered.

MS is a condition in which it is really important to get control of the disease early. It is a real shame when delays in treatment cause lifelong problems for patients.

The Addenbrookes neurologists have always been pretty active in research and were big advocates for alemtuzumab (formerly called Campath). Tony Johnstone, former European Tour player and current Sky analyst has publicly discussed his MS and having received alemtuzumab for it. I met him at Precision Golf once and we had a nice chat about MS drug development.

Last edited:

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
Tony Johnstone, former European Tour player and current Sky analyst has publicly discussed his MS and having received alemtuzumab for it. I met him at Precision Golf once and we had a nice chat about MS drug development.

Tony was my inspiration for taking up golf after he battled back with Lemtrada treatment :)

Ethan is so right - I fear to think how I'd be today if I hadn't got access to the treatment. It's a disease that needs to be hit hard and early But there are people out there who want to do just that and are being prevented from doing it.

Thank you everyone who shared and everyone who has signed :thup: