MS Outlook help

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hi

Had a weird problem come up on Outlook this morning that I use to read my emails from my BT email account.

If I open an email, as soon as I leave the inbox and them come back to it, it deletes the email. It is not going to my trash or my deleted items folders and I have no automatic rules on the email inbox. Its as if permanently deleted and cant be found on a search either.

If I open a new email in the web based version of BT Email the email sits there and doesnt get deleted and can be seen in my Outlook inbox

2 issues: 1) I need it stop doing it and 2) I have lost a really important email I need to get back asap

Anyone offer any wisdom that google searching etc doesnt provide

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Possibly you have managed to set the outlook client to delete the server copy.

Will be under email account settings some where
What version of outlook

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Yeah imap doesn't pull the messages down. Always tricky commenting on stuff from afar. May be worth just creating a new outlook profile and see of that fixes it. As for the deleted email, if there is no server copy and BT don't offer recovery you may well have lost it.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yeah imap doesn't pull the messages down. Always tricky commenting on stuff from afar. May be worth just creating a new outlook profile and see of that fixes it. As for the deleted email, if there is no server copy and BT don't offer recovery you may well have lost it.

yeah was assuming that may be the case :( may have to resolve that issue the long way

dont understand why this comes on having been fine before and of course happens when i have the one important email i get ever lol

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Try logging directly into the MS 'Edge' web version it usually keeps deleted and archived stuff unless you've specifically chosen 'permanently delete'.

Ask sender to resend.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Try logging directly into the MS 'Edge' web version it usually keep deleted and archived stuff unless you've specifically chose 'permanently delete'.

ive not chosen permanently delete, ive not asked it to delete at all, but its deleting them and removing them fully from the client (ie not in the web version, not in deleted files, trash, etc etc)

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Outlook tried blaming BT, now claiming there is an issue between Outlook and BT servers that is being worked on.......

Get a feeling this isnt resolved quickly sigh

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Have you looked in 'Storage Folders' - 'Deleted Items' in Outlook?

I assume you have looked in the 'bin'

yep both are empty :(

it seems the messages are gone for good (which is ok bar one of them!), getting outlook to work properly again still to be resolved though :( currently using the web client where its not causing the same issue at least)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
yep both are empty :(

it seems the messages are gone for good (which is ok bar one of them!), getting outlook to work properly again still to be resolved though :( currently using the web client where its not causing the same issue at least)
Within the Storage Folders you my find a 'Recovered Items' folder. Try there.

Depending on how recent your Outlook is there are a few suggestions on google.
'outlook recovered items' produced this one https://www.howtogeek.com/396486/HOW-TO-RECOVER-DELETED-ITEMS-FROM-OUTLOOK/

Last edited:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Had a look at that thanks, cant find a recoverable items folder anywhere :(

Seems its a problem with Outlook and BT email currently that they are working for so am giving them a few days to find a fix, otherwise they have advised the best work around is to swap form an IMAP account to a Pop3 one

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Log in this morning and everything is back to normal, as well as about 40 emails that had been deleted back in my inbox including the important one :)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Log in this morning and everything is back to normal, as well as about 40 emails that had been deleted back in my inbox including the important one :)
Good to hear it.

Incidentally. I remembered that in the past I had found a folder 'Windows Live Mail' in my Documents folder (but I gather it could be anywhere on your system). It has all all sorts of old and new emails in there in folders within folders. It might be of interest to do a File Explorer search.