Move to driver or stick with 3 wood

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've never had a driver in my bag... owned one or two but never got to use one on the course. I have a TM r7 Steel 3 wood which is a few years old now. It's still in great condition and I'm not looking to replace it soon. I'm consistent with it and can hit it straightish, 90% of the time around 250 yards. I keep thinking maybe I should learn to use a driver and buy one to help me go further?

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've never had a driver in my bag... owned one or two but never got to use one on the course. I have a TM r7 Steel 3 wood which is a few years old now. It's still in great condition and I'm not looking to replace it soon. I'm consistent with it and can hit it straightish, 90% of the time around 250 yards. I keep thinking maybe I should learn to use a driver and buy one to help me go further?

If you can hit a 3 wood 250 then you might be able to hit a driver 280+!

If you go and buy an off the shelf model you will most likely struggle, if you go and get fitted and have a few lessons you will probably knock 3-5 shots off your game.

Improvements like that do come at a cost, lessons + custom fit of head and shaft + basic club cost = many £££

If you are on a budget stick with the 3 wood as anything else will be mental kick in the gentlemens.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can you not try a few out and pick up a relative bargain at some point.

Drivers are always coming out and old models get priced down. Maybe you could search out an R7 driver.

The R5 and R7 fairways were totally brilliant clubs (I'm not even a fan of TM!).

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can you not try a few out and pick up a relative bargain at some point.

Drivers are always coming out and old models get priced down. Maybe you could search out an R7 driver.

The R5 and R7 fairways were totally brilliant clubs (I'm not even a fan of TM!).

There will be a massive mental block probably, that should be overcome with lessons, whatever you do, go cheap or buy expensive make sure you back it up with some lessons so you get things right from the start!

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well I guess I should really stick with it then, getting married in three weeks and just joining a club means money is stretched, will have to try harder for more bonuses before contemplation lessons as well as the driver! Cheers.