Most forgiving driver M4 v g400max v Epic

Mickyc

Hacker
Visit site
Hi, probably buying one of the three next week while travelling for business. Sadly not going to have a chance to hit them before I leave. Inclined to think the g400max is most forgiving but haven’t hit it. Hit the m4 and epic in a store a couple of weeks ago but struggled to get a decent couple of shots in in-doors. For what it’s worth the m4 felt better. Did not agree with the rogue for some reason.

I’m a high handicapper (22) slow swing speed (93-95 mph) and my biggest problem with the driver is the deadest slice.
Thoughts?
Thanks
Mike

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not gonna like it but the obvious answer is to have a lesson and fix the deadly slice, then once youve got that sorted look for a new shiny driver, fitted correctly with the right shaft for your swing speed

If set on buying one then the TM for me :)

chasf

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi, probably buying one of the three next week while travelling for business. Sadly not going to have a chance to hit them before I leave. Inclined to think the g400max is most forgiving but haven’t hit it. Hit the m4 and epic in a store a couple of weeks ago but struggled to get a decent couple of shots in in-doors. For what it’s worth the m4 felt better. Did not agree with the rogue for some reason.

I’m a high handicapper (22) slow swing speed (93-95 mph) and my biggest problem with the driver is the deadest slice.
Thoughts?
Thanks
Mike

i had the epic and it was good to start with, but then i lost confidence in it and did not know where it would go. I changed the the g400 sft and liked the results. I then got the g400 max as its even more forgiving and it just wants to go straight. Only thing i don`t like is the sound as it is quite loud..

If you have a slice try the g400 sft first as it has draw bias to help counteract a slice.

Mickyc

Hacker
Visit site
Work in progress mate...lesson on the weekend identified part of the problem (for now). Problem I have is that prices in the uk are way better than SA so would like to buy next week when I am in London. I currently play the x-hot 2 callaway with an acra shaft that was fitted to me in st Andrews. Will probably look to have the tip changed to whichever driver I buy and keep using the acra shaft.

Thanks for the input
Mike

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Please don't buy a driver without trying first. And take the maufacturers' performance claims with a pinch of salt.

About a year ago I went for a fitting and tried Epic, Epic subzero, M2, Ping GSF and Ping GLS, all with both regular and stiff shafts. None of them were more than 5 yards longer, nor were they any more forgiving, than my existing 6 year old Mizuno MX700.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
No club is going to sort a wicked slice...period. N matter how much draw bias you put on the head your swing path/face to path will over ride that every time.

Save your money for now and get the swing sorted out or you are just going to keep throwing cash at the problem and the problem won't go away.

Sorry it's not what you may want to hear but it's the cold hard truth I'm afraid.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
have to go & get fitted to get the optimum shaft

but the slice is about the swing & impact conditions not the make or newness of a driver - new driver not going to help fix any swing faults - but lessons would

out of the three heads ping would be a tad more forgiving - but no-one should just buy off the shelf

njrose51

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
As a high handicapper I hated my driver. So spent the money on lessons plus brought a callaway driving iron from the Pro and used that instead. I only got a driver late last year and have been working hard on getting confident with it. Be patient, as more experienced players have said club won't cure the slice!

Mickyc

Hacker
Visit site
I appreciate the replies and advice re lessons etc I really do.

Don’t get me wrong I understand I need to fix the swing but have had the itch for a new driver for some time. Despite my handicap I am not new to the game. Been playing again now for about 6 years and have come to the conclusion that no amount of lessons, practice or new clubs will get my handicap down below 20 again. I can hit the ball well, just need to try eliminate the 1 or so duff shot per hole. My driver (generally) works well for me, don’t have any issues with that. I just don’t have the talent to be a decent golfer....

I will keep going for lessons every couple of months (think I need a new coach though). I just feel that every 3-4 years technology moves enough to warrant new equipment hence the want to buy a new driver.

I could put if off until my next trip, just thought it might be a good opportunity to get some new tech at a decent price.

Thanks again for the replied

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
have come to the conclusion that no amount of lessons, practice or new clubs will get my handicap down below 20 again.

Sorry to go off topic but why do you think that ?? Is there something debilitating you physically ?

Golf is hard but to improve you need to improve within the most important 6 inches in the game....between the ears. It's a thinking mans game, I think more about my game now than I have at any time in the past 30+ years.

Mickyc

Hacker
Visit site
No apology nessesary.

This game has beaten me into submission and acceptance of forever being a high handicapper. Been through this so many times over the past couple of years. Every time I think I’m getting somethibg right I take one step forward and two steps backward and something else or the whole game falls apart completely.

Done the lessons, spent more time at the range, play at least once a week. Hell I went on a tour to Scotland and played 20 rounds in 12 days playing some pretty good golf in the middle of it until it started going sour and when I got back home my first round back was like I had never picked up a club before.

Best handicap I got down to was 18 three years ago and have been drifting up ever since. 3 years of increase time focus effort lessons and cash and I’ve obky gone backwards.

Coach thinks I should be a mid teen but it just seems that’s a stretch too far no matter what I do.

I don’t have the mental capacity to keep spending so much time and effort on a game and getting worse and worse and looking like a complete idiot with a club in my hands at times. It’s the most frustrating game in the world which I wish I could find a way to quit it but I can’t stop wanting to play no matter how much I hate it!

The only way I can enjoy this game to some degree is to accept that I will always have crap rounds and never really progress. Hopefully by buying something more forgiving my crappy shots will be less crappy...

Apologies for the long winded reply (and self pity)...but hey you asked!

Cheers
M

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
The only way I can enjoy this game to some degree is to accept that I will always have crap rounds and never really progress. Hopefully by buying something more forgiving my crappy shots will be less crappy...

Apologies for the long winded reply (and self pity)...but hey you asked!

Cheers
M

No apology nessesary. :D

We all have crap rounds mate, it's the good ones that have us coming back for more though, not the crap ones. It's about cutting down on the mistakes, making those eights, sevens, making those sixes, fives. Shot decision making is another huge key, you are what you are, so forget all the hero shots, chip out instead of taking things on, if the driver is an issue with the slice, hit a 3 wood, more loft = lesser into the merd etc etc.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Good luck with the club (and game) search. Just want to add that mid nineties is a pretty decent swing speed, and plenty quick enough to get it out there far enough to play to a nice low handicap...

Wilf

Club Champion
Visit site
Not sure where in London you will be or where you were planning on buying the club from but the American Golf at Monument has a couple of indoor fitting bays so you could at least get to hit them all before purchasing.

There may be other stores available in London with fitting bays but I'm not aware of any within my limited knowledge of Central London.

If you are determined to buy make sure you've done a bit of research online for price points to make sure they price match as instore tends to be a bit higher priced. Also bring your old driver if possible to partex.

I know AG's can be a little bit pot luck in terms of service but might be a option in your case

mikeb4

Head Pro
Visit site

Thoughts?
Thanks
Mike

Callaway Fusion Driver - very forgiving and adjustable probably go for about £150 now

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I hit g400 ls tec (not max granted) M4 and Cally Rogue... M4 had best dispersion for me. All about what works for you.

big_matt

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If you are a 22 handicapper you should get a cheaper driver than the ones you mention and spend the savings on lessons to fix the slice. You see 2016 m2's going on ebay now for £150. Thats as good and forgiving a driver as anything that came out this year and with the £300 you save thats a half hour lesson every week for 2 months. No brainer.

New driver tech is overrated. I have a 910 d2 and a vapor pro. Both cost me £75 and go a long way straight.