Most expensive Club membership and joining fees

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Makes you wonder how the US produces decent players? They cant all be the Sons and Daughters of well off parents?!

Apparently it's not too bad price wise as you move across the country into the southern states. Have you not noticed that most of the U.S. golfers mostly come from Texas, Arizona, Georgia etc. even to do nomadic golf on a very average course round here your are looking at $55, going up to $70 a round at weekends with buggy, so for any young golfer in this area its not gonna happen unless you have wealthy parents.

One thing I have noticed is that anytime you see a young golfer getting out of a parents car it is always something German and top of the range, you certainly don't see them getting out of a 10 year old Ford Focus.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i met a guy at a Visit Scotland golf day who worked for the PGA of America and said most of the courses where he lived in the south were in excess of $20,000 a month and most were mediocre courses but well kept.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
In terms of good but not stupidly exclusive courses (like Queenwood), Frilford is pretty expensive - £3000 joining fee, and then £2000 a year after that.

3 very good courses though.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
i met a guy at a Visit Scotland golf day who worked for the PGA of America and said most of the courses where he lived in the south were in excess of $20,000 a month and most were mediocre courses but well kept.

Maybe if your looking at 5 star country club golf. You can pick up full membership for around $3000-$4000 in Arizona, compared to a similar course round here for $10000-$12000.

http://www.dellagogolf.net/golf/rates/

JohnF

Club Champion
Visit site
And I heard you are limited to around 15 rounds a year

I heard that too, but when I asked the members that I know they just laughed. From what I remember it depends on the joining fee you take, £80k being the cheapest which was about 60 rounds (sorry can't remember the exact number ) but the course is only open from April to October outside that they play Dundonald Links. The Scottish membership is full, but the international membership is still open from what I was told.

V

vkurup

I can't remember the numbers off the top of my head but I was surprised at how reasonable North Hants and West Hill were once you got past the initial joining fees

Enquired at Worplesdon a couple of years ago and was told 4500 joining and 1800 yearly. I suspect the 3Ws areain the same ballpark. If it is of any comfort then you could pay the joining fee over 3 years... Lovely course though...

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
I just wish it was as cheap as the UK over here.

I made an inquiry at a local Country Club and they invited to have a courtesy round and see what they have to offer. Gym, Pool, members driving range with courtesy Z-Star balls, perfectly manicured greens, excellent food, very good pro shop, but it was a very average course to play. After the round I chatted with the membership manager. It was the she put the prices in front me.

I nearly had a heart attack when I Saw $17,000 joining fee with $900 a month membership fees strapped on top. Apparently that is one of the cheaper places to play round here, I think I'll stick with nomadic golf for now........:(

One of the members at our place use to be a member of TPC course in florida for 15 years (can't recall which one) but he paid $15k joining fee and $800 a month. He was telling me when you look into how much things would cost to play nomad, and the facilities you got for your money and the golf available to you, in the end your only paying $100 a month over for a championship course. I believe he offset his membership against his company and fiddled it with the tax man, or something along those lines.
Apparently there is no such thing as junior rates either, everyone pays full rate!

EDIT: It was TPC Prestancia.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Enquired at Worplesdon a couple of years ago and was told 4500 joining and 1800 yearly. I suspect the 3Ws areain the same ballpark. If it is of any comfort then you could pay the joining fee over 3 years... Lovely course though...

I agree. As I said once you take the hit for the joining fees those annual fees are good for the nature of the course and the location. I think North Hants is similar

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Back in the day Duxbury Park Muni used to be about £32 a month for the contract with the council with no joining fee! Nowadays... Well it's got to be in the top ten most expensive golf courses in Chorley. Not cheap round here!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I was talking to a guy today who played Queenwood in the week. It was amazing by all accounts but when he asked about the cost you'd have thought he'd run over the owners pet dog in the car park and reversed back over for good measure. Some very frowned faces apparently and all a bit awkward for a few moments

Last edited:

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was talking to a guy today who played Queenwood in the week. It was amazing by all accounts but when he asked about the cost you'd have thought he'd run over the owners pet dog in the car park and reversed back over for good measure. Some very frowned faces apparently and all a bit awkward for a few moments

That is not wrong Homer - I have a similar experience!